PADI DM Video

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tboxcar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have watched this at least 3 or more times now, would enjoy to hear from others on it's significance in the course itself? I found it pretty good, would like to know just 'how important it is' for your final exams?

Surely somebody must have an opinion on this one?

Sorry.....Memorial Day Weekend ya know.....

I like it too. I think it compliments the Divemaster Manual very well. How important it is to the exams? Well, it's just another medium to present information to you. Learning by seeing examples is something most people respond well to, and is why PADI has a DVD that basically regurgitates the same information in the student manuals. The value can only be determined by you and how you perceive it.

Yes, there will be subject matter in the exams that is covered in the DVD, but it is also covered in the student manual as well. Personally, I feel that a combination of studying the student manual and also watching the DVD is a more effective delivery of information than just using one medium alone.

I don't know about the value on the final exam.

But, I really appreciated those questions at the beginning. Particularly, the one where you have to ask yourself if you'd like to be divemastered by someone like you.

I just signed out the video and thought it was pretty good. Really the same as the other PADI course videos I've seen--Pretty much exactly what's in the manual. No, I doubt it will do anything to help for the exams, but I found it worthwhile to view. And a good review of some basic dive techniques as well. Seems that the DM course is much like Rescue Diver in that there is usually more than one right way to do things and you have to think on your feet.

The DM video is very good however all the content for the exam is actually elsewhere
Physics, Physiology, Decompression theory and equipment are covered by the Encyclopedia and the eRDP
General Diving skills is covered by the adventure in diving manual and your general experience
Divemaster conducted programs is based on the 3 sections of the instructor manual
Assisting with students in training, and supervising certified divers is covered by either the DM manual or the instructor manual.

It is however a requirement that you watch the DVD at least once before completion of your course. As it is not required material for the student usually your dive centre will either have you watching it all at the beginning, in case you have already done the knowledge reviews or if you are on a slow pace program you will actually watch in the classroom.

Some DC like the whole classroom idea, especially those based in towns, while in resorts the preference is genrally to get rid of the viewing or even to lend you the DVD and get on with the diving ASAP

If you can get your hands on the PADI Nat Geo. DVD there is are some excellent demos of all the physics laws done in a lab setting. They are in the special features section of the dvd.

If you can get your hands on the PADI Nat Geo. DVD there is are some excellent demos of all the physics laws done in a lab setting. They are in the special features section of the dvd.

They are from the DVD edition of the Encyclopaedia - another product I highly recommend.

Back to the OP and the DM DVD... okay I have taught a lot of DMs and I have seen that video waaaaayyyy too many times but yes, I think the information in there is valuable. Obvioulsy it's very PADI-fied (I counted the word 64 times I think, with about 35 of these in the last 5 minutes!! haha! I'm sooo sad!). The information is repeated in the DM manual and also in some of the presentations (which are not mandatory) and in terms of the information you need for those exams (supervising and assisting) it's all right there and they are easy exams.

More than that though, the DVD is required watching but can spark some good discussion about things that may seem obvious to some of us old hands but since this is a beginner class, it imparts useful information to those who will shortly be needing it!

That was a lot more than I really needed to type but meh...! :)

Happy diving,

C.

The PADI DM video I feel is very relavent for the first three knowledge reviews in your manual as well as the "Working with certified divers exam" and "supervising students exam". It is a good start off for the course demonstrating the role that you will be taking and the distinction between what duties will and will not fall into your responsibilities througout your training.....I think anyway : )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom