PADI E-learning - How long to complete?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was skeptical about eLearning in the beginning. I have found through using it, that the students who utilize eLearning are just as prepared or more so than ones who read the book and watch the video. They get to read, watch videos and hear lecture during the course. I can interact with students via a virtual classroom to answer questions, post messages and more, plus they can always call or email me. I feel that they come ready to learn, and I can spend more time on the physical aspects of teaching. I believe it is the way of the future, and I support it. Students say it takes 8-12 hours to complete.

I have found that the students who use eLearning for the home study are actually slightly more prepared when the come to class. Remember, in most stores, eLearning is simply another way to deliver the training materials. It does not replace classroom lectures or pool instruction.

I think the PADI eLearning course is one of the best material products PADI offers.

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

Phil, I agree. I invite students to sit in on classroom sessions of traditional learning, and have found them better prepared for class. I think partially due to video, reading and lecture available at their finger tips. There is also the possibility that online learners are more motivated individuals. I have offered chapter quizzes to them just to test the difference, and have found them as good or better. I feel that it gives instructors more time to elaborate on portions that we normally see more difficulty with.

To MNBobcat,

+1 for RRDC. I highly recommend Rainbow Reef Divers in Key Largo I used them in September for some specialty classes I took, and I am taking my Rescue Class with them in July 2011. They are very patient and do not rush to get you through the course. If you search them on the board you will hear great reviews of them.

Mike

allow 2 hrs per chapter IMO... i skipped through them and took about an hour a piece, most of that was completing the in chapter quizzes.

re: usefullness... I haven't been involved pre e-learning, but from the DM'ing I've done we go over the main points of the e-learning and then get in the pool, then the next weekend do some more review of the e-learning... we don't cover everything, just what the instructor wants to review (also dependant on the students)

We have had people complete it in less than ten hours. Especially if you know anything at all about diving and terminology. You will need to pass an exam in-store / class to review so just make sure you do it thoroughly. The shop you signed up with should be open to fielding questions during your process.
We have done a lot of elearning certs and find that most people enjoy that.
Have a good time. The Elearning course does not prevent you from getting other materials and studying either. I just had an elearner show up with a drysuit book and video completed as well as his openwater elearning print out. I hope you get a 100 on your final. Most of the time people miss the question regarding table rules, so pay close attention to the dive table planning rules.
Hi Everyone,

I'm going to be signing up for the PADI E-learning course. I'll take my pool training here locally (probably in about two weeks) and then my open water dives will be in the Florida keys the middle of next month.

I don't learn very well (anymore) by having people instruct me verbally. As I've gotten older, I find much of what a lot of people say to be ambiguous to the point where its not always clear to me what they are saying. They phrase things in a way that could mean two different things. I'm sure its more so my problem than their's but for me to clearly understand what they mean I have to keep stopping them and asking for clarification.

Whereas, I learn exceptionally well by reading. So for me, e-learning is a great fit.

MY plan is to take the classroom part by e-learning. Then I'll learn everything I can in the pool sessions and via the OW diving. Then, knowing that the e-learning and limited dive time doesn't prepare me to dive, I'll take additional instruction and training. But we all have to start somewhere. :)

So...my question is...on average about how long does the e-learning course take to complete? I know we all work at different speeds, but for a quick learner can I figure maybe 10 hours to complete?

I spent a few hours a couple evenings and got it done without an issue. I've mentored a few friends doing it. The ones that understand some physics and are good at math and tables didn't have very much of an issue. The ones that had a harder time with math and tables took a little longer in that chapter. That is, if you still have to do the RDP exercises.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom