PADI EFR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichieRich1042

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I tried doing a search but couldn't really find an answer. When it comes to the PADI EFR course, I have my state EMT card as well as BLS-Provider cards through AHA and both are up to date. I'm also a former instructor (couldn't justify keeping it up to date). Would I still have to take the EFR class or am I able to send PADI a copy of my cards? Sorry if this question is asked ad nausea. Thanks in advance.

Well... that depends.
The standards state EFR or equivalent. Your current EMT and BLS cards would meet that standard for anything below instructor.
When I sent in my Instructor application PADI held it until I paid to be an EFR instructor even though I had much higher certifications.

I tried doing a search but couldn't really find an answer. When it comes to the PADI EFR course, I have my state EMT card as well as BLS-Provider cards through AHA and both are up to date. I'm also a former instructor (couldn't justify keeping it up to date). Would I still have to take the EFR class or am I able to send PADI a copy of my cards? Sorry if this question is asked ad nausea. Thanks in advance.
It is not clear what you are trying to accomplish, or what your real question is. Why do you need an EFR card?

Hmm, there is a mismatch here. Used to be an instructor? Profile shows 50-99 dives? One of those has to be wrong.

Perhaps OP means he was an instructor in state EMT, not saying he was SCUBA instructor.
Perhaps.
If he thinks he needs EFR for Rescue, he does not. His current certs are equivalents or better. His Rescue instructor/shop should know that and so advise him.

Sorry for the confusion all. I have my rescue card from PADI already. It was more so having the cert for if/when I decide to start my MSD/DM rating. The instructor card I was referring to was the AHA Healthcare Provider Instructor certification. That is the one I couldn't justify keeping as I didn't have the time to commit to teaching the required number of classes per year. My provider card is still active. I was not advised on how to go about it from the dive shop as they weren't sure themselves other than having to take the course which is why I wanted to ask here. Thanks for the responses.

If in doubt, ask PADI directly - link

At the end of the day it is only them that know if they will accept it as equivalent or not.

Sorry for the confusion all. I have my rescue card from PADI already. It was more so having the cert for if/when I decide to start my MSD/DM rating. The instructor card I was referring to was the AHA Healthcare Provider Instructor certification. That is the one I couldn't justify keeping as I didn't have the time to commit to teaching the required number of classes per year. My provider card is still active. I was not advised on how to go about it from the dive shop as they weren't sure themselves other than having to take the course which is why I wanted to ask here. Thanks for the responses.
MSD does not require EFR, but it does require Rescue, which in turn DOES require EFR or equivalent.
DM certainly requires EFR or equiivalent. CPR-only (as in BLS) is not sufficient as an equivalent, first aid is also necessary.

since you already have Padi Rescue cert. you would not have to worry about EFR cert unless you are considering becoming a Open Water Instructor, then your EFR cert has to be up to date an you would have to become a EFR Instructor. Also MSD/DM rating are 2 seperate certs.- Divemaster is where you become a PADI Pro. Master Scuba Diver is where you accumulate 5 specialties along with Rescue, then you can fill paperwork to become a PSD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom