PADI - Enriched Air (Nitrox) Diver - Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished PADI Nitrox course, never did it before because I did all my training in early 90s and was indoctrinated with the “Nitrox is the devils gas” bias and stopped diving for a while because of other life events. Started again in ernest about a year ago and obviously attidudes have changed since then so I thought it would be worthwhile.

Picked up learning materials (book, video etc), took test (I think it was 25 or 30 questions with a good number of problems to work) and analyzed a couple of tanks. Video was boring as heck. Book was decent, more focused on computers than theory. Working problems was most fun part. Did not learn any theory or physiology from the class that I did not understand more thoroughly from reading excellent book “Deco for Divers” but the PADI manual was useful for understanding industry practices and norms.

You do have to meet with an instructor, pass the quiz, and analyze tanks. How long that takes depends on the instructor and your relationship with them. In my case it took about 10 minutes, most of which was spent looking for the analyzer.

The LDS where I "took" the class doesn't blend nitrox. It's not much use around here because there are so few local dives in the 60-110 foot depth range where nitrox is useful.

Locating the analyzer is a critical step.
The real delay is when the batteries are dead and you don't have fresh ones handy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom