Padi Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John-
Be fair now. The eight events you described could very well have been the result of Russian hackers, trying to discourage Americans from underwater activities that could interfere with Russian military efforts and equipment. Hey, you know, if they'll try to throw elections...who says SCUBA is off the list?

And then there was this PADI instructor who kept telling a navigation class about the "loober" line on the compass. Yeah, no, it ain't called that way, even in dialect.

My idea of a "check dive" is not to take certification away from someone. My thinking is that if an instructor/DM demonstrates competency during this review then great. They "know" what to do. The idea is to help the professional become better at their profession. Also, the review could come in the form of a "secret shopper". Unless the pro really screws aomething up, they wouldn't even know their being observed. It's a process that works. No one is out to get anyone, just make the professionals better. The only people who should fear being "shopped" are those who are intentionally doing something wrong. If I were in an instructor (of anything) I would welcome constructive review.

Just saying ....
Cheers - MM
p.s. - my last post on this subject

My idea of a "check dive" is not to take certification away from someone. My thinking is that if an instructor/DM demonstrates competency during this review then great. They "know" what to do. The idea is to help the professional become better at their profession. Also, the review could come in the form of a "secret shopper". Unless the pro really screws aomething up, they wouldn't even know their being observed. It's a process that works. No one is out to get anyone, just make the professionals better. The only people who should fear being "shopped" are those who are intentionally doing something wrong. If I were in an instructor (of anything) I would welcome constructive review.

Just saying ....
Cheers - MM
p.s. - my last post on this subject
Who pays for this? If it causes class fees to increase to cover cost of doing business then I think its a good idea. Classes are too cheap now as it is. Instructors complain about high insurance fee, membership fees etc. perhaps it will weed out facilities , instructors that only teach 1 or 6 classes a year will now consider why they bother doing this. As it is if you only teach 6 classes a year it is costing you $100 just to pay insurance for every class you do. That does not include transportation costs, gear depreciation etc.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom