PADI five point ascent/descent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikel

Reaction score
Simple question (I hope). I can't find the PADI "specific" definition of the five step accent and 5 step decent. I thought it might be in the open water book but it's not (that I can find). I've figured out five things that could be it but I need the exact 5 points. Thanks very much in advance!
Mikel

Descent - -

Signal
Orientation
Regulator
Time
Deflate/Descent

SORT-D or SORTED if you add in Equalization

Ascent

Signal
Time
Deflator (in hand ready to vent)
Reach (with deflator)
Rotate (and look up)

STDRR or Studder

Ascent, descent or both? What is difficult about it? Acronyms are always useful in diving -- like DIR that way you can remember to Do It Right :eek:ut:

That skill is reviewed in the video and should also be previewed in the skill preview section toward the end of chapter two in the book.

Yes, those are "them." Thank you! What I was looking for in the open water manual was a heading that said, very specifically, "5 point...."

If it's there and I missed it I will look again. I was trying to add things like Make/Maintain Buddy Contact, Make Stop At 5 Metres, Inflate BC at Surface, etc., and turning it into a major project. The "sort-d and stdrr " are perfect, thus thank you again.

SORTED - the 6 letter acronym for a five point descent...

S - Signal
O - Orient
R - Regulator
T- Timer
E- Equalization
D- Descend

and STARS

S - Signal
T - Timer
A - Arms
R - Rotate
S - Slowly and safely ascend