PADI lacking Solo Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In fact, we usually plan for buddy separation because it happens.
@didi440: If the statement above is true, then you and your buddies aren't really committed to diving together (and staying together) as a team.

You described a very loose buddy team with another UW photographer. I dive all the time with another buddy who also has an UW camera setup. Our buddy separation distance doesn't change just because a camera is in the hands of one or both of us. We've never lost each other underwater in hundreds of dives in all kinds of conditions (including many low vis dives). Perhaps we've been a little lucky. Perhaps we've just conducted our dives with a team-first attitude.

Best of luck with the rest of your DM course...

Let me start by mentioning that I am PADI certified, so anything said is not a PADI bash. Others have also mentioned that other acencies don't offer a "Solo" cert either. It just seems to me that offering a "self reliance" course wouldn't necessarily address the problem of the "bad buddy". Since buddy diving is stressed in certification and doesn't seem to "stick" with the trainee, why would another cert make it more so? :idk:

Reactions: Jax
Not if the customers are into solo diving too :)

As a dive guide,I have not found out how to make a living out of solo (scuba) diving without destoying the sea. It's hard enough making a buck leading fun & safe dives for my customers in this up & dowm ecomony. At one time I had a compressor,tanks,equipment,and a boat. But I still could not figure out how to drift dive or do my own chest compression. As far as I know there's not a law international/federal/state enforced that will result in fines or imprisonment. So go for it & good luck.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Can anyone (who teaches it?) give a brief list of what is covered in this Self Reliant course? ei: some specifics about redundancies other than just a pony bottle, some of the stuff other than redundancies. And perhaps compare it to the "Solo" course taught by another agency(s)?
sources:

1. The PADI Self Reliant Diver Distinctive Specialty Instructor Guide
- can be downloaded from the PADI pros website.

2. The SDI Solo Diver Specialty Instructor Manual
- can be found here: https://www.tdisdi.com/wp-content/u...ual/SDI Specialty Standards_23_Solo_Diver.pdf

3. The SDI Solo Diver Manual
- can be purchased from any SDI dealer.

The two courses are more similar than different.
- They both emphasize that training as an independent diver will make you a better buddy.
- Both courses require a student to be at least an advanced Diver and to have logged at least 100 dives.
- Both courses require a redundant air source beyond an alternate second stage.
- Both require deploying a surface marker.
- Both require basic navigation.
- Both address basic gas management (rule of thirds, plus SAC/depth/exertion).
- Both require a 200 yard surface swim in open water in full scuba gear.
etc. etc.

Some differences:
- SDI has a student manual. PADI does not. (PADI has more "lecture".)
- SDI requires students be 21. PADI accepts 18-year-olds.
- SDI requires two dives. PADI requires three.
- PADI requires redundant depth/time devices, redundant signaling devices, a cutting tool, and slate. SDI discusses these academically, but does not list them as required equipment.
- PADI requires a 2-minute, 60 foot underwater scuba swim without mask. SDI does not require mask replacement at all. < But at least one SDI instructor (mine) does. >
- PADI requires SAC be determined in the water. SDI allows it to be determined out of the water.
- PADI requires navigating to within certain limits. SDI simply requires proficiency.

The biggest difference may just be the name.

Last edited:
Based on the above information, the PADI course sounds like it better prepares you for solo diving than the SDI course does ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom