PADI lacking Solo Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, Rod.

Comparing their new position with that shown in post #10 in this thread, one can see there isn't much difference.

Half the paragraphs are identical. They added two new paragraphs, one called "Overview" and one called "What is self-reliant diving?".

They re-worded parts of some paragraphs, most evident in the middle of "Can diving without a partner be done responsibly?".

But the only semi-significant changes I see are not calling it solo diving, and no longer considering it technical.

Honest, I tried to stop myself.

Whenever PADI decides to separate the statistics and drop out the number of Buddy separations from actual solo divers, I might actually pay more attention to what they have to say. Buddy separation is a failure in their approved system (and possibly their training methods) and categorizing separated buddies as solo divers to increase the number of "solo" fatalities to "prove" their argument is juvenile. You would think they could keep better records.

I dive Solo and Buddy depending on what I decide to do and my preference is to enjoy myself while diving. I don't bash buddy diving (or team diving for that matter) and I expect the same courtesy from them for my solo diving.

Bob
------------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Whenever PADI decides to separate the statistics and drop out the number of Buddy separations from actual solo divers, I might actually pay more attention to what they have to say.

I agree with this. How hard can it be to differentiate dive types based on whether a diver entered the water alone, or whether they entered the water with a buddy?

Buddy separation is a failure in their approved system (and possibly their training methods)

I think that PADI is right to strongly rely on the buddy system. Their course structure is aimed at providing cheap and easy training. It is what it is.

But, the lack of intensive self-rescue and self-reliance development means that PADI qualified divers are not going to recieve the training necessary to operate without some form of assistance and support.

The simple fact remains, if you want to choose PADI training because it offers an inexpensive and quick scuba diving qualification, then you also have to heed their recommendations about the necessity for effective buddy procedures and limiting your diving to the boundaries of your training and experience.

PADI is very much the 'McDonald's' of scuba diving agencies. Solo diving is an a'la carte activity.

The disparity should be obvious, but sadly, many scuba divers don't seem to recognise the reality. Over-confidence and over-assessment of personal competence is a common problem for novice-intermediate 'quick-fix' trained divers. PADI (and other 'junk-food' style agencies) won't ever be quick to spell out the limitations of their training system, which is a shame because it leads to serious expectation management issues amongst its certified divers.

That said, if newly trained divers stuck to getting the basic rights and followed the agency recommendations, not letting their egos or assumptions lead them to bite off more than they could chew, then the accident statistics would surely be lower.

PADI, god bless em, have provided most of us with the perfect, not overly difficult quite easily accessible access, to probably the most unspoilt place
on the gorgeous planet, except may be for Tasmania

Then, considering the responsible adult types, that we
are, we are left to take our diving near or to take it far

But from listening and from what I can see, it becomes more and
more difficult to choose, who I want to come solo diving with me

I never thought I would
understand
and like
a knowone post.
But now I have.

Or at least I think I understand it. I know I like it.
I laughed out loud at the end.

PADI, god bless em, have provided most of us with the perfect, not overly difficult quite easily accessible access, to probably the most unspoilt place
on the gorgeous planet, except may be for Tasmania

Then, considering the responsible adult types, that we
are, we are left to take our diving near or to take it far

But from listening and from what I can see, it becomes more and
more difficult to choose, who I want to come solo diving with me

Now I hear what your writing with this- MELBOURNE DIVER.-thingy.

Sarcasm so cryptic, it's almost ironic! knowone knows all the answers, that's the real truth.

I agree with this. How hard can it be to differentiate dive types based on whether a diver entered the water alone, or whether they entered the water with a buddy?

I think that PADI is right to strongly rely on the buddy system. Their course structure is aimed at providing cheap and easy training. It is what it is.

But, the lack of intensive self-rescue and self-reliance development means that PADI qualified divers are not going to recieve the training necessary to operate without some form of assistance and support.

The simple fact remains, if you want to choose PADI training because it offers an inexpensive and quick scuba diving qualification, then you also have to heed their recommendations about the necessity for effective buddy procedures and limiting your diving to the boundaries of your training and experience.

PADI is very much the 'McDonald's' of scuba diving agencies. Solo diving is an a'la carte activity.

The disparity should be obvious, but sadly, many scuba divers don't seem to recognise the reality. Over-confidence and over-assessment of personal competence is a common problem for novice-intermediate 'quick-fix' trained divers. PADI (and other 'junk-food' style agencies) won't ever be quick to spell out the limitations of their training system, which is a shame because it leads to serious expectation management issues amongst its certified divers.

That said, if newly trained divers stuck to getting the basic rights and followed the agency recommendations, not letting their egos or assumptions lead them to bite off more than they could chew, then the accident statistics would surely be lower.

If P.A.D.I wasn't the way it is, the costs would be out of control and less people overall would of even attempted to scuba dive, retension is more about costs in my opinion.
I totally agree with your comments although they are generalized, like most things in life you get out what you put in and everybody is different- forums like this one are very useful as is diving on "Mc Donalds" styled dive boats with large groups which have a great variety of people with different capabilities and character types to witness, if you get lost in your own ego, I don't thing it would matter how you learned to dive- overconfidence will get even an old timer dead, like not knowing when to quit at something, having too much strength of mind can be a finale' for some.

The issue is not to offer the course. When a diver attempts to dive in certain water around the world; the country that governs those water may prohibit "solo diving". As in some countries diving alone is an offense.

So by offering the course is irrelevant you cannot apply it. Unless you want to risk your certification and getting arrested. Although its extreme it's possible.

Apart from that if solo diving is authorized. The entire course structure of OW and AOW would change too.

If your interested in Solo Diving? the only certified individuals permitted to dive alone under laws of the countries waters are Commercial Divers.

A commercial diver is trained to the full extent to be permitted to dive alone. As they carry on dives to the extreme. And they're only dive buddies are themselves. They're only life support in emergencies is themselves. As they reach 100m way above that of the recreational and tec divers.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

The issue is not to offer the course. When a diver attempts to dive in certain water around the world; the country that governs those water may prohibit "solo diving". As in some countries diving alone is an offense.

So by offering the course is irrelevant you cannot apply it. Unless you want to risk your certification and getting arrested. Although its extreme it's possible.

Apart from that if solo diving is authorized. The entire course structure of OW and AOW would change too.

If your interested in Solo Diving? the only certified individuals permitted to dive alone under laws of the countries waters are Commercial Divers.

A commercial diver is trained to the full extent to be permitted to dive alone. As they carry on dives to the extreme. And they're only dive buddies are themselves. They're only life support in emergencies is themselves. As they reach 100m way above that of the recreational and tec divers.

Have fun diving and enjoy!!!

I'm not sure any of this is correct.

You imply that solo diving is generally illegal. There are some very isolated regions that prohibit it, but I've never heard of anywhere it was a criminal act or one that could get you arrested.

Offering a separate certification in "solo" wouldn't necessary change the structure of an associated OW/AOW any more than offering a "tech" certification does. Even if you were to offer a "solo OW", the bulk of the covered material would (sadly) be unchanged. You'd do buddy checks differently.

Most commercial diving is not done truly solo, but requires a huge support team. Are you are suggesting that the OP become a commercial diver because of interest in solo recreational diving?

That is the single most frightening thing I've read today.

Back
Top Bottom