PADI - No (full) cave certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They dropped it when they decided it was too dangerous.

That is what I supposed... hence the reason of this thread.
I don't consider the cave diving more dangerous than all their other "tec" course... but maybe during their history they collected enough data to decide that the risk wasn't worth the money (or the opposite).

I don't consider the cave diving more dangerous than all their other "tec" course... but maybe during their history they collected enough data to decide that the risk wasn't worth the money (or the opposite).
If you read the book on cave diving (Blueprint for Survival) that Exley wrote back when PADI had the class, you will see in the introduction that in one year in Florida alone at least 26 people died diving in caves. In the modern era, it takes years to reach that total world-wide, and there is a heck of a lot more cave diving gong on now than then. So cave diving was extremely dangerous then. What made the difference was the pioneering work of people like Exley who gave us the gear, methods, and instruction that has made it as safe as it is today.

(I know that, like all other certification, the instructors counts not the agency... I was just curious of why isn't publicized and it's hidden in their website).
Is this what you think I missed?
You must have missed the last row of my post (or not.. coz you replied to half of it :D ).
My reply was a direct response; it is not publicized because it is not a PADI standard course, it is a Distinctive Specialty written by an instuctor. Those are not publicized by PADI.
Now your real motive comes out; you were not asking a question, you were looking for validation of your opinion.

DISTINCTIVE Specialties are not "hidden" on the website, they are not part of the website. Back when BoulderJohn is talking about, it was a business decision not to do it as a full-up PADI certification....small market, high risk. Now, the risk is substantially lower, the market is still small and full of agencies and instructors trying to milk it. No reasn to enter it, but if a cave instructor for some ohter agency wants to put a PADI label on his/her class, it is possible, with some work to write the course....and it becomes a Distinctive Specialty.

No reasn to enter it, but if a cave instructor for some ohter agency wants to put a PADI label on his/her class, it is possible, with some work to write the course....and it becomes a Distinctive Specialty.
If you have permission of the guy who wrote the original course, you can use the same outline, so you don't have to rewrite it. I believe the PADI cave course was co-written by 4 instructors.

Is this what you think I missed?

Nope, you missed that I didn't wanted to do a PADI cave course, I asked why a PADI cave course isn't listed along with all the other (including Tec) courses, so why PADI doesn't provide a full cave course with the teaching material.

Now your real motive comes out; you were not asking a question, you were looking for validation of your opinion.

When I didn't seen provide a course directly I formed various ideas, I am a human with a brain, but not finding any information on the web, I come here to ask what was the real reason (coz I'm a curious person), because I knew that here we may have/had some persons with a deeper access to this kind of information.

Now I know that PADI were used to provide a full cave course (along with the other courses) in the past, but it has been remove due to its "dangerousness", so my curiosity has been satisfied. :)

PADI has no cave course. PADI instructors may submit a Distinctive Specialty course outline, have it reviewed and approved & then teach a cave course & issue a PADI cave certification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom