PADI not teaching dive tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I haven't taken my class yet, but I have the materials to study and the book still has a (fairly large) section on dive tables and the packet came with a table. When I purchased the PADI material packet, I was told to complete all the review sections, with no mention of skipping the dive table section. There is also a section on using computers. So I would assume we are going to cover both, which is a good idea in my opinion.

If you were provided with the RDP (table) and instruction manual for the RDP in your "PADI Crew Pack", your Instructor/Shop has chosen to teach with the table (RDP) option.

Yes, you will briefly touch on computers, but not to the same depth as when Instructors/Shops choose to teach the computer option.

By the way, it works the other way too. When Instructors/Shops teach the computer option they will often briefly discus table use.

Last edited:
When i got my OW back in 2011 - the crew pack didn't come with tables and the shop wasn't going to touch on the tables at all...they focused on the computers. i have ended up teaching myself tables but still want to get a set of tables for backup if my comp ever fails

When i got my OW back in 2011 - the crew pack didn't come with tables and the shop wasn't going to touch on the tables at all...they focused on the computers. i have ended up teaching myself tables but still want to get a set of tables for backup if my comp ever fails

I am curious as to how you will use the tables if your computer fails. If you are doing a multi-level dive, you may find that you have exceeded table limits when the computer failed, and you will have to wait until you are totally cleared by the table to continue--a minimum of 6 hours for the PADI tables. You will also need to bring with you a backup dive watch and a depth gauge to use with the tables. The tables themselves are surprisingly expensive. With the way the cost of basic computers is plummeting, you may find it is cheaper to carry a backup computer.

...//... but still want to get a set of tables for backup if my comp ever fails

I started out this way also. The problem is, how do you transfer from a more generous device to a much more restrictive one? Doesn't work at all.

So I took my SAC (RMV etc) converted it to DAC for various depths and calculated the maximum dive I could possibly do with my given backgas at incremental depths that covered my "range". Some of these dives give me a deco obligation. I figured that in also using only backgas. Wrote everything on a wrist slate using a plastic tape printer.

So now I know that I can only stay xx minutes at yy depth or I'm totally screwed and out of gas at the end of my dive. Even better, I know a reasonable ascent for my "terminal" dive from that depth and time. This is what I use when in doubt.

Stay safe.

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 06:49 PM ----------

So to answer both iluvtheocean and the OP, what I prefer is a valid "worst case" exit plan. Tables or most DC's will allow you to generate your own set BEFORE THE DIVE. Final say is yours.

Yes, a second DC will virtually eliminate any possiblilty of being without a pilot DURING THE DIVE. Final say is your DC's.

Both scenarios work. Personal ability and preference...

I am curious as to how you will use the tables if your computer fails. If you are doing a multi-level dive, you may find that you have exceeded table limits when the computer failed, and you will have to wait until you are totally cleared by the table to continue--a minimum of 6 hours for the PADI tables. You will also need to bring with you a backup dive watch and a depth gauge to use with the tables. The tables themselves are surprisingly expensive. With the way the cost of basic computers is plummeting, you may find it is cheaper to carry a backup computer.

Maybe I misunderstood that; It wouldn't be the first time.

The tables are "surprisingly expensive??
And computer prices are plummeting to the point where it is actually cheaper to buy a second computer, rather than buy a dive table?

This kind of sounds like a shop sales pitch.
I would love it if this is correct, however.

Can you provide a link to the surprisingly expensive dive table, as well as the cheaper computer.
Plenty of divers here would love to have an affordable computer, especially if it can be set in gauge mode.

Some current options are: Liquivision Xen. At a price of $500, it is an excessively high priced bottom timer.

The Hollis botom timer, which is between $250-$300.

The Aeris XR-1, was available for around $150. One button, has to be reset to gauge mode each day.

Used Uwatec bottom timers, for $100. These are not as readily available as they once were.

I recently bought Metric PADI tables, and an EAD table. They were $8.00 each.

Cheers,
Mitch

Maybe I misunderstood that; It wouldn't be the first time.

The tables are "surprisingly expensive??
And computer prices are plummeting to the point where it is actually cheaper to buy a second computer, rather than buy a dive table?

This kind of sounds like a shop sales pitch.
I would love it if this is correct, however.

Can you provide a link to the surprisingly expensive dive table, as well as the cheaper computer.
Plenty of divers here would love to have an affordable computer, especially if it can be set in gauge mode.

Cheers,
Mitch

Try rereading my post.

The last I checked, a table cost about $50. Depth gauges, depending upon the quality, go for around $50-$70 as a median price. The big variable is the dive watch. I own three, and the cheapest one by itself costs a lot more than the least expensive computers on the market. You can get a cheap waterproof watch for about $50, I would guess. So you are looking at $150-$170 to use tables as a backup.

Here is a link for a new dive computer--full retail price--for $175. You could probably do a lot better off of eBay.

So, yes, you can get all 3 for less than the cheapest computers on the market, but not by as much as you think.

I must be totally bizarre. I use waypoints and time. How hard is that?

I can exit gracefully at any given moment, if I can't, forget the dive -I'm up. This isn't taught by anybody I know, can't figure out why not...

Had a bad experience. Sitting on the bottom, Tolten, wondering if I was OK. Yes, I had the gas, but wasn't sure of myself. NEVER, EVER will happen again. Ever.

I did reread your post.
I had additional questions, which is why I asked.

You initially referred to a dedicated depth gauge along with a separate timing device. You concluded your post by mentioning a cheaper dive computer (I understood this to be a device that contains depth, time, and NDL functions). I was curious about that.

This is why I asked for clarification, since I thought you might have been referring to a specific model (of computer) that had plummeted in price.
I wanted to know what it was, because it would be worth buying.

I was specifically referring to your statement of "you may find it is cheaper to carry a backup computer."

The comparison you are making is using a depth gauge along with a diving watch. I agree, this would be expensive.
More so that the aforementioned Uwatec bottom timer, for $100 that has both depth and time.

As is stands now, tables cost anywhere between $8.00 (the price I paid) and $50 (the price you found).
Add the price of a used Uwatec (depth and timing device) $100, it certainly isn't cheap.

The Aeris XR-1 used to be available on Scuba Toys for around $160 or so. It is similar to the Mares Puck that you linked, which might be the best bet at the moment.

I am on the lookout for a Uwatec alternative, some divers around here ask about it often. I thought there might have been a specific model on sale.

I like my Xen, but it is expensive for what it does. It's hard to recommend it to others due to the high price.

Regards,
Mitch

Add the price of a used Uwatec (depth and timing device) $100, it certainly isn't cheap.

Wow! I bought the Uwatec bottom timer that I own (and use) for about $250 five years ago. That shows how fast these prices are plummeting in general. Not long ago you could not dream of getting a computer for under $300. Now you can get a good one for half that price.

Try rereading my post.

The last I checked, a table cost about $50. Depth gauges, depending upon the quality, go for around $50-$70 as a median price. The big variable is the dive watch. I own three, and the cheapest one by itself costs a lot more than the least expensive computers on the market. You can get a cheap waterproof watch for about $50, I would guess. So you are looking at $150-$170 to use tables as a backup.

Here is a link for a new dive computer--full retail price--for $175. You could probably do a lot better off of eBay.

So, yes, you can get all 3 for less than the cheapest computers on the market, but not by as much as you think.

PADI dive tables from my LDS.....................................$ 4.95
Casio G-Shock watch (200m).................................... 59.95
Aeris Depth gauge.................................................. 54.95

Total.................................................................... $119.85

I have a Genesis computer that my wife bought me for Christmas. I'm not worried about it failing because I don't use it. I clip it to my BC inflator hose only because my wife bought it for me. I don't turn it on. I use tables exclusively.

I tried using a computer a couple of years ago, but it ended up just being something I had strapped to my arm. I just didn't trust it. I ended up selling it to get my son a new BC.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom