PADI not teaching dive tables anymore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...... computer simulations, where feasible, to demonstrate the concept of nitrogen loading. Visually engaging animations, where a student can gain an intuitive feel for how much nitrogen the body absorbs or releases with changes in depth would teach that aspect far better than playing with tables......
Maybe you could try out our divePAL program (available for Windows, iPad, Android and iPhone. Versions for Web and Mac are coming soon).
Not only you can see the nitrogen loading - by compartments - bouncing around, but you could also see simulations of model-specific dive computers.
divepal_zoop_20120909.jpgdivepal_allgraphs_20120412.jpg

Additionally, we have created for PADI several distinctive specialties for model-specific dive computers. And PADI instructors are actually using them more and more (almost 1,000 so far)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

.....a wonder DIY to nitrogen loading....
I fixed it for you :wink:

With the Tech version fo divePAL you can even design (and play with) your own variation of the Buhlmann algorithm :D (just don't use it for real diving!)

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Just downloaded the Android version and am going to try and fool around with it a bit tonight....

Just downloaded the Android version and am going to try and fool around with it a bit tonight....

keep in mind that you may need to purchase the upgraded package to get some of the features you are probably expecting....

I doubt you will be disappointed.

keep in mind that you may need to purchase the upgraded package to get some of the features you are probably expecting....

I doubt you will be disappointed.

Thanks Bob, and picking up the upgrade will not be a problem. I'm in the enviable (or unenviable depending on your budget) position of completely upgrading all of my and and the wife's gear from the bottom up.

Trying to examine, and possibly incorporate, all of the new available technologies while I'm at it...

Nowadays dive computers are the norm, not the exception, so they teach to that.

I was taught to use computers during class, but stayed late one day and reviewed how to use tables. I planned using computers, and using tables. The computer often afforded me more time due to not having to round up, but the numbers were similar.

Nowadays, the tables are a backup for me, but for practice, I still plan/dive with a computer, but calculate pressure groups and oxygen exposure using tables during my SI. I know several other divers that do the same.

Tables will always work, computers may fail.

I understand the distinction, and at the risk of sounding patronizing to you I did not say they were one and the same. What I said were the tables were the practical application of deco theory for a new diver, and a teaching tool that I feel is valuable.

From "Decompression Theory"....Voets

. . .

I've read your comments and others' replies to them, and I'm not going to get dragged into the debate when so many others are more knowledgeable. As for your reference citations, we all know that tables are based on decompression models, thanks. Beyond that, well, enjoy your debate on how useful tables are for teaching something more than how to plan a dive. As with every topic on SB, I am confident a consensus will be reached shortly.

DiveNav: I've seen your posts before but had forgotten. It looks interesting.

I've read your comments and others' replies to them, and I'm not going to get dragged into the debate when so many others are more knowledgeable. As for your reference citations, we all know that tables are based on decompression models, thanks. Beyond that, well, enjoy your debate on how useful tables are for teaching something more than how to plan a dive. As with every topic on SB, I am confident a consensus will be reached shortly.
DiveNav: I've seen your posts before but had forgotten. It looks interesting.

I'm reading the on topic replies about the value of tables vs non with interest and getting my hands on the new training materials. What I have had enough of is those skimming my comments and misrepresenting them.

The first sentence of your post accused me of "conflating" tables with deco thoery, or in laymans terms suggesting there is a relationship between the two things. I put the citations there for the benefit of the new divers who may be interested, and to illustrate that there is a relationship between the two.

It really has nothing to do with the discussion, but you brought it up. Perhaps you'd like to clarify your original post?

Back
Top Bottom