Padi online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeliejerm

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking of trying the advanced ow classes now available online with PADI. My question is will any dive shop honor the pass certificate and I just move on to the dives or how will that work? Do they charge different rates for the cert dives? Also, do you guys think it would end up cheaper just keeping it with the lds?

Thanks for the help

Around here, the AOW course is a situation where you study the material, answer the knowledge reviews and show up for one evening of classroom. The following weekend there are 5 dives.

I think you would be better served to take it all with the LDS as the classroom portion will provide the briefing for the dives.

Just a suggestion...

Richard

I have to agree with Richard. In theory, the OW dives should match what is in the material, but the practical application of the class and the actual dives can be different. My older son and I did the entire AOW course and dives with our LDS and we had a direct correlation to what we covered in class ( which as Richard points out did include the dive briefing ) and our dives.

My younger son did his OW dives as a referral and that shop did things differently from how he had covered material in the class room so there was still a lot of discussion before the actual dives.

Good luck!

I'm thinking of trying the advanced ow classes now available online with PADI. My question is will any dive shop honor the pass certificate and I just move on to the dives or how will that work? Do they charge different rates for the cert dives? Also, do you guys think it would end up cheaper just keeping it with the lds?

Thanks for the help

think of the online work same as reading material for course.There would be no difference in cost of course unless lds is including text in fees charged.You would not need text so costs may drop that way.How much did it cost online?

think of the online work same as reading material for course.There would be no difference in cost of course unless lds is including text in fees charged.You would not need text so costs may drop that way.How much did it cost online?

The online cost is 120.

The text used for AOW contains a lot more information than just the little amount used in the class. You really want the full text whether it is required for the online course or not.

Richard

It is the same class as you'd get directly from the hands on classroom, But PADI has limited the choices you can take for your AOW C-card. There are choices in classes you might feel better suiting your dive area, so having the classroom done in person might be the best choice.

As I have been checking this out, it seems like a scam. The online course is 120 dollars and the resort I am going to will cut the price of the course by about 60 dollars if I have done the course work ahead of time. So basically I will be paying more for the course this way, and I will not have the text book as it's only available to me online for a year from the sign on date if I have read it right.
Also why is it so expensive? What am I really paying for? The conveniece of not sitting in a classroom during one of my vacation days? Not sure that's really worth sixty bucks?
Any thoughts?

Another consideration is not every LDS offers the same dive options to fulfill the AOW requirements.

If you plan to do it this way, please coordinate with the LDS beforehand, or you may end up having to do additional sections, or worse, they offer a dive/dives that aren't offered on line.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom