Padi online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the book cost $30-35 this is about what you are getting for the $120 on line course.

I have yet to see ANY value whatsoever to any of the online programs PADI offers. They ARE an acceptable substitute for the book/video homework, but are not even close to a replacement for face to face interaction with even a decent instructor. More expensive and less portable than a book. I just don't get it.

I have yet to see ANY value whatsoever to any of the online programs PADI offers. They ARE an acceptable substitute for the book/video homework, but are not even close to a replacement for face to face interaction with even a decent instructor. More expensive and less portable than a book. I just don't get it.

Having worked with many E-learners, this is the conclusion I have also come to.

The only value to the online course is marketing--we get some students in because they THINK that they will have less time invested if they do the classwork online. Reality is that they need so much briefing and have so many questions that we essentially have to re-do the class for them and their time investment is now doubled.

But if it brings in some extra students who would not have signed up for a "time-consuming" class experience, it is all good! :)

theskull

The online courses were also developed because many of the younger divers are more computer literate and like to take course theory online.

You have received some great advice here and it is accurate. Just remember, there are only two required dives in the AOW class. The others can be electives, depending on your diving area, your desires, and other factors.

You keep getting great advice when you are told to check with your LDS about their course. At the end of the day an AOW class can be outstanding or just marginal. The big difference will be the instructor teaching the class and how much he/she puts into the class.

It is the same class as you'd get directly from the hands on classroom, But PADI has limited the choices you can take for your AOW C-card. There are choices in classes you might feel better suiting your dive area, so having the classroom done in person might be the best choice.
I concur. While I think the online courses might benefit a resort (because you do the study time in advance), the money you spend on it at home can be better spent on equipment.

Well I would not mind spending time and money on education if I felt like I was actually getting something beneficial out of it. It just seems to me that the online courses offered on the PADI web site are a scam.
Take for instance the Nitrox course they offer. It cost 195 U.S. dollars. The resort that I plan to do the actual hands on portion of the course will shave off 85 U.S. dollars from the course price.
I am trying to figure out what I am getting for the EXTRA 110 U.S. dollars that I am spending to do the online work?

Well I would not mind spending time and money on education if I felt like I was actually getting something beneficial out of it. It just seems to me that the online courses offered on the PADI web site are a scam.
Take for instance the Nitrox course they offer. It cost 195 U.S. dollars. The resort that I plan to do the actual hands on portion of the course will shave off 85 U.S. dollars from the course price.
I am trying to figure out what I am getting for the EXTRA 110 U.S. dollars that I am spending to do the online work?

What you get for the extra $110 is limited time to access the material on line after finishing the program instead of owning a book.

What you get for the extra $110 is limited time to access the material on line after finishing the program instead of owning a book.
I think I would prefer to have a book in my grubby paw. That way, I can reference it any time I want to. I could also use the $$ for other classes or equipment.

That is exactly what I thought too. I get to spend an extra $110 and I only have one years access to the information.
I sent PADI a question about this. They have yet to respond. I will post whatever reply they give me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom