PADI Open Water Diver Course - ALL SKILLS Video!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
PADI Open Water Diver Course Skills finally all together performed at Open Water Diver Student Level. The PADI Open Water Diver course is the most popular scuba diving course in the world, and with millions of people taking the PADI Open Water Diver course worldwide, we thought to bring you the ultimate YouTube video showing how all PADI Open Water Diver course skills are conducted from a perfect student level.

There are many PADI Open Water Diver course skills video's out there, but many are made with demonstrations from the scuba diving instructor level. These PADI Open Water Diver course skills demonstrations include over-exaggerated movements, reminders and much more, which is fantastic for demonstrations but not always easy to understand to PADI Open Water Diver course students.

The PADI Open Water Diver course instructors give fantastic demonstrations, but we wanted to show you what YOU have to do as a PADI Open Water Diver course student.

In this PADI Open Water Diver course skills video, you will see that we do the PADI Open Water Diver course skills in a perfect way, just as a student and nothing else... This will make you not only complete the PADI Open Water Diver course, but you will complete it as the best and easiest PADI Open Water Diver course student that you can be.

All PADI Open Water Diver Course Skills in order:

We start with the PADI Open Water Diver Course Flexible skills followed by PADI Confined Dive 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

All confined dive skills in order - one video clip:

Flexible skills

Skin Diving

Equipment Set Up

Disconnect Low Pressure Inflator Hose

Loose Cylinder Band

Weight Belt Removal & Replacement at the Surface

Emergency Weight Belt Drop

Confined Dive 1

Put on dive equipment using proper technique

Buddy Check

Inflate/Deflate BCD at the Surface

Regulator Clearing Two Methods

Regulator Removal & Recovery

Partially Flooded Mask

Alternate Air Source Stationary for 30 Seconds

Controlled Descent Shallow to Deep

Swim Maintaining Buoyancy

Air Check

Ascent Using Proper Technique

Inflating BCD at the Surface

Snorkeling

Orally Inflate the BCD at the Surface

Confined Dive 2

Dive Equipment Assembly

Buddy Check

Giant Stride Entry

Buoyancy Check at the Surface

Clear a Snorkel Using Blast Method

Snorkel to Regulator Exchange

Snorkel for 50 Meters (with a buddy)

5 Point Descent (with a buddy)

Fin Pivot LPI

Fully Flooded Mask

Mask Removal & Replacement

Mask Removal & Replacement for 1 Minute

Air Depletion & Signal

Air Check

5 Point Ascent

Exit Using the Ladder

Confined Dive 3

Dive Equipment Assembly

Buddy Check

Giant Stride Entry

Buoyancy Check at the Surface (with a buddy)

Cramp Release at the Surface (with a buddy)

5 Point Descent Visual Reference (with a buddy)

Cramp Release Underwater (with a buddy)

Hover for 30 seconds

Swim Adjusting Trim & Buoyancy

Alternate Air Source Swim for 1 Minute (with a buddy)

CESA - Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent

Air Check

Confined Dive 4

Dive Equipment Assembly

Tired Diver Tow 25 Meters

Scuba Unit Removal & Replacement at the Surface

5 Point Descent Over Sensitive Bottom

Swim Over Sensitive Bottom

Hover Orally Inflate for 1 Minute

Free-flowing Regulator for 30 Seconds

No Mask Swim

Air Check

5 Point Ascent Over Sensitive Bottom

Emergency Weight Belt Drop

Confined Dive 5

Equipment Assembly

Scuba Unit Removal and Replacement Underwater

Weight Belt Removal & Replacement Underwater

Air Check

Mini Dive

Plan the Dive (with a buddy)

Giant Stride (with a buddy)

Mini Dive Explanation:

5 Point Descent (with a buddy)

Swim Repeating Skills

Ascent with Safety Stop (with a buddy)

Deep Water Exit
Equipment Disassembly

Please check out our other YouTube Scuba Diving Tips Videos:

Scuba Diving Hand Signals:

Best Trick to Equalise Your Ears while Scuba Diving:

PADI Skill Circuit for the PADI Divemaster and IDC Course:

Please visit these essential website links:

Diving Instructor Course:

Dive Instructor Development Course (IDC) Koh Tao

PADI IDC Course:

PADI IDC Koh Tao - Amazing Diving Instructor Job Opportunities Thailand

PADI Open Water Diver Course:

Open Water Diver | PADI

Best Underwater Videography Course in the world by The Film Company on Koh Tao, Thailand:

The Film Company - Koh Tao - The Film Company - Koh Tao - Home

We at Scuba Diving Tips really hoped that you loved this PADI Open Water Diver course skill video. Again we urge you to use the sound for the voice over.

The PADI Open Water Diver course is not just the most popular course in the world, it is also one of the most fun scuba diving experiences that you can have in your life.

I wish you all the best success and fun during your PADI Open Water Diver course and please leave some comments below about your experience of your PADI Open Water Diver course and if you need any help from me.

Marcel van den Berg
PADI Platinum Course Director
Scuba Diving Tips

Late reply to this post but I'll tell you... these videos got me through the skills demonstration portion of my DM course with flying colours. I still try to channel the DM/Instructor in the films every time I have to demo a skill.

Thank you for the excellent work! I'll be running my step-kids through these as they start their OW training this month.

OP, can you please make another video using neutral buoyancy throughout, rather than kneeling on the bottom? We all know how to do this obsolete stuff in your video, but if you can help teach the modern stuff it would be very nice.

I didn't watch it, but am sure this would've helped me with the DM course, and would've been nice to have it in '05 when I took OW. Of course I have to agree about the kneeling thing, but the those appropriate skills would be done similarly enough neutrally, I would think.

Nonsense. Like hovering in the Buddha position?
Not sure what you mean. I'm saying it's not big difference retrieving a reg while swimming or neutral vs. on the knees. Other than a change in some angles, I feel the same about all the skills that can be done neutrally. The first time I cleared my mask after OW I did it while swimming--I know it's been brought up before that many new divers will try to find a spot on the bottom to do this. I think THAT is nonsense-- but don't dispute that it occurs. I feel the motions of those 6-7 skills are basically the same, kneeling or hovering. I've never done anything in the Buddha position.
You doff & don your unit NB vs. on knees-- what motions are different?
Same with the OOA & ascend drill.
You wouldn't remove and replace your belt in the water column anyway-- you'd just be dropping your weights. You'd do that on the surface to hand up the belt, or on the bottom to tighten it.
What are the others we can compare--Turn the student's air off then back on? No difference there at all in angles.
Just saying you can probably learn the correct procedures for doing these drills from a video on knees just as well, except for a few minor angle differences, which you can easily figure out on your own (or should be able to).

More class neutral buoyant skill demonstrations would be wonderful.

Not sure what you mean.
You may have missed the many discussions of the differences.

I'm saying it's not big difference retrieving a reg while swimming or neutral vs. on the knees. Other than a change in some angles, I feel the same about all the skills that can be done neutrally.
- Yes, the angles are different. On knees reg falls to side or behind, you have to really sweep. For behind head retrieve you may have to pull tank up, while neutral and flat it will be more forward.
- On knees, your body does not shift as you do things, as you are attached to the bottom.
- Doing it task loaded while maintaining buoyancy. A huge difference.

You doff & don your unit NB vs. on knees-- what motions are different?
- On knees, you are on solid ground. You can just lean back or use your knee. You can spread your knees and use your lower legs and fins as a very wide and deep solid platform.
- Neutral any movement of the rig shifts you, much more difficult.
- Video underwater R/R is at 1:47:50 followed by weight belt R/R.

The first time I cleared my mask after OW I did it while swimming--I know it's been brought up before that many new divers will try to find a spot on the bottom to do this. I think THAT is nonsense-- but don't dispute that it occurs. I feel the motions of those 6-7 skills are basically the same, kneeling or hovering.
- On knees, tilting up gets water in nose.
- Neutral, tilting up a smidge helps a bit and no water in nose.

Same with the OOA & ascend drill.
- On knees, both of you are solid and not moving.
- Neutral, both of you are moving to or away from each other, unless you prevent that by fining properly, :).
- I LOVE the OOA drill demo. Done seemingly in 5 feet of water, and a simulated 30 second ascend to the surface. All seemingly on the knees on the bottom, the reg exchange part and the ascent part. (sarcasm...)

I think those are the highlights of the huge difference in having to do the skill neutral buoyant v.s. planted on the bottom.

A final huge difference is that it prepares you to do the skill at any point in a dive, not just planted on the bottom, which is not usually where you are just before you need to do any of them.

More class neutral buoyant skill demonstrations would be wonderful.

You may have missed the many discussions of the differences.

- Yes, the angles are different. On knees reg falls to side or behind, you have to really sweep. For behind head retrieve you may have to pull tank up, while neutral and flat it will be more forward.
- On knees, your body does not shift as you do things, as you are attached to the bottom.

- On knees, you are on solid ground. You can just lean back or use your knee. You can spread your knees and use your lower legs and fins as a very wide and deep solid platform.
- Neutral any movement of the rig shifts you, much more difficult.
- Video underwater R/R is at 1:47:50 followed by weight belt R/R.

- On knees, tilting up gets water in nose.
- Neutral, tilting up a smidge helps a bit and no water in nose.

- On knees, both of you are solid and not moving.
- Neutral, both of you are moving to or away from each other, unless you prevent that by fining properly, :).
- I LOVE the OOA drill demo. Done seemingly in 5 feet of water, and a simulated 30 second ascend to the surface. All seemingly on the knees on the bottom, the reg exchange part and the ascent part. (sarcasm...)

I think those are the highlights of the huge difference in having to do the skill neutral buoyant v.s. planted on the bottom.

A final huge difference is that it prepares you to do the skill at any point in a dive, not just planted on the bottom, which is not usually where you are just before you need to do any of them.
Good post and you spelled out the differences. Don't think we really disagree on any of this. Seems you are saying some things are a little harder on knees and others while NB.
My only point here is that the basic steps for these skills are the same regardless of knees or NB. Guess I'm also saying that a video like this would be good for ME personally, though agree it would be nice to see these kills done neutrally instead. The skills aren't rocket science, and there are only a select few of the 24 we're talking about.
I don't think there are any huge differences on knees or not. Just my opinion, and I seem to be stuck in a rut with my view.
I have never had water go up my nose clearing a mask- knees or not. Again, that's just me.

Good post and you spelled out the differences. Don't think we really disagree on any of this. Seems you are saying some things are a little harder on knees and others while NB.
My only point here is that the basic steps for these skills are the same regardless of knees or NB. Guess I'm also saying that a video like this would be good for ME personally, though agree it would be nice to see these kills done neutrally instead. The skills aren't rocket science, and there are only a select few of the 24 we're talking about.
I don't think there are any huge differences on knees or not. Just my opinion, and I seem to be stuck in a rut with my view.
I have never had water go up my nose clearing a mask- knees or not. Again, that's just me.
The post and video are not about you. They are about training new instructors. Perhaps your own training is not the issue?

Back
Top Bottom