PADI Open Water Knowledge Reviews

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Axua:
agree with you regarding safety and ownership of manual and yes it is quite a common practice here. I know that PADI is seriously thinking of the PIC and manual combo (For replacement cards, they could just design a separate envelope just for that purpose and that one can be sold separately), because I believe this year they had 20,000 certifications but sold only 2,000 manuals.

The issue of loaning books by the instructor has also been addressed in the news letter and PADIs stance seems to be clear that such a practice no longer will be tolerated.

PS: I think PIC cards along with the manuals will never fly. I'm sure PADI likes the electronic submission over the internet (less paper work)

PRL:
PS: I think PIC cards along with the manuals will never fly. I'm sure PADI likes the electronic submission over the internet (less paper work)

Thats easy, they could just come up with a control code that can be found only in the manual that you would need to include in the online registration.

matts1w:
...For example- I teach/coach high school. If I wanted to show a Disney video to my class I have to buy a video with these sorts of rights. I cannot simply go to Blockbuster and buy the $23.99 DVD or especially rent the show. I have to buy a video and license from the billion-of-dollars-in-assets Disney corporation for about $90.00. The videos you buy at Wal-Mart are usually only licensed for HOME use. Is this stupid and greedy? Absolutely. Is it the law. You bet. By the way, does Disney actually go after teachers who violate their copyrights? Yes- to the tune of $500,000...

Actually, for you can buy the video from Blockbuster and show it in the classroom for educational purposes. As long as you're not profiting financially from this action, it's okay. I teach college english and own a few movies I show in class. No copyright laws are being violated.

PRL:
I think that the issue is not copyright but the legal aspect of education. PADI is trying (or is forced) to make it harder for students to just copy the answers...

This is actually the reason. It's not the copyright laws, but the lawyers that have advised PADI that there is less liability against the instructor and the organization (i.e. PADI) by being able to prove that the student had access to all the educational materials. And the only way to do that, according to the lawyers, is to require each student to have their own book or share a CD-ROM, in which it can be proven that the student accessed the materials by the login history.

I'm not saying I agree with this. I'm just providing the reason that it's done this way, at least the reason as it was explained to me. I wasn't there during the meetings. :D

And does it really matter anyway. It is the way it is. And all the bickering in this thread isn't going to change it. If you don't like it, get certified by an agency that doesn't have this requirement. :11:

PRL:
The hope here might be since they have the book they might look at it once in a while. CD version forces students to look through the whole module and answer study questions before the Knowledge review can be attempted.

There is a way to go directly to the knowledge review, so that's not really the issue.

Back
Top Bottom