PADI open water max depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
One other thing, I would not vomit into a regulator myself. I would not count on it clearing and you would most likely aspirate some of the stuff and I personally prefer seawater to vomit but maybe that is just me. N

Yes. Vomit into your regulator, then exhale is EXACTLY what my daughter was told to do.

When I asked how the buddy-breathing technique was taught, I received a very odd look. I was informed that removing your regulator from your mouth is too dangerous.

So now I wonder what will happen to those enlightened divers who are bottom-huggers, who trail their octos in the sand, and then find themselves with an inoperative octo.

I was taught if you have to vomit do it into the reg. Theory went after you vomit you can involutarily gasp - bad news without a reg in your mouth.

Not sure the rule with a double hose sea hunt era gear though.

timle:
I was taught if you have to vomit do it into the reg. Theory went after you vomit you can involutarily gasp - bad news without a reg in your mouth.

Not sure the rule with a double hose sea hunt era gear though.

If you vomit into you reg and then involuntarily gasp it isn't going to make a difference because you are going to suck in the remaining vomit in your reg unless you vomit, clear you reg and then involuntarily gasp. That would sort of rule out involuntarily gasping though now wouldn't it.

Either way (reg in/reg out) you are going to either inhale something if you involuntarily gasp. The thing is that by holding you reg in you take a big chance on clogging your reg up. If you pull it out and hold on to it then even if you aspirate some water you have a better chance of putting a clear reg back in your mouth while your coughing that water out. You will clear the reg with your coughing and not have any vomit in it to halt its functioning.

It just wouldn't make sense to me to hold it in while vomiting. If I aspirate vomit I am likely to vomit again, if I aspirate water I am likely to only start coughing. Also, if I vomit into my reg I take a chance in rendering it useless.

Holy rocket science.

Exhale/puke and hold/tap the purge for a brief enough period to clear while you're hurling. Not much puke left and no water at all.....the best you're apt to get under the circumstances.

I'm with you Gary.

rockjock3:
If you vomit into you reg and then involuntarily gasp it isn't going to make a difference because you are going to suck in the remaining vomit in your reg unless you vomit, clear you reg and then involuntarily gasp. That would sort of rule out involuntarily gasping though now wouldn't it. QUOTE]

So then you aspirate the vomitus into your trachea and then down into your lungs. Great!!

Take the d***** regulator out of your mouth, clean both, then replace the regulator in your mouth and purge. Or, if you do not have enough air in your lungs, switch to your secondary.

garyfotodiver:
rockjock3:
If you vomit into you reg and then involuntarily gasp it isn't going to make a difference because you are going to suck in the remaining vomit in your reg unless you vomit, clear you reg and then involuntarily gasp. That would sort of rule out involuntarily gasping though now wouldn't it. QUOTE]

So then you aspirate the vomitus into your trachea and then down into your lungs. Great!!

Take the d***** regulator out of your mouth, clean both, then replace the regulator in your mouth and purge. Or, if you do not have enough air in your lungs, switch to your secondary.
The vomiting through your reg technique seems to have quite a few satisfied customers. http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=108068&highlight=vomit

I give. You all win. Everyone here has way more experience with divers than I do. From now on, I defer to your superior wisdom and knowlege.

Your humble servent,

Rachel

Article on DAN's website has this to say

"Vomiting underwater is not easy. Do you vomit through your regulator or take your regulator out of your mouth? There are valid arguments for both techniques, and I have seen both done successfully."

So I guess do which ever one feels more right to you. I'll stick with my instructors suggestions of vomiting into the reg.

timle:
Article on DAN's website has this to say

"Vomiting underwater is not easy. Do you vomit through your regulator or take your regulator out of your mouth? There are valid arguments for both techniques, and I have seen both done successfully."

So I guess do which ever one feels more right to you. I'll stick with my instructors suggestions of vomiting into the reg.

Hmmm....this is one skill you all need to practice more :D

Well, I've been known to practice it mildly a time or two :)

And to further follow my previous post through, I agree with Gary, if your reg then "gags" (After tossing the cookies through it) you've got the as of yet unoffended back-up that works.......hopefully the buddy should be aware of what's going on sometime soon too, if we want to take the "protocol" even further :wink:

Back
Top Bottom