padi ow, why is CESA recommended to 9m?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not quite the same. If I remember correctly, submarines are not pressurized to the ambient pressure.

Well the guy has to be pressurized to come up.. they lock them out and send them up.

I was assuming they had used a Steinke hood but that wasn't invented until 1961. Possibly they used a Momsen lung.

I don't believe they use either, that was kind of the point of doing it, to prove it could be done without either.

---------- Post added July 8th, 2014 at 03:41 AM ----------

Not quite the same. If I remember correctly, submarines are not pressurized to the ambient pressure.

Considering the time involved in pressurizing the escape trunk and opening it I am pretty sure you would be at or above the no deco limit at 302 feet, considering the no deco limit at 190 feet was 5 minutes using the Navy tables of the day and the time starts when leaving 1 atom.

When I took my instructor exam and we completed the CESA work, the examiner emphasized that the training standard for both the pool and the open water is for distance only, not time. If a student completed that distance going faster than 60 FPM, that was acceptable. We could not accept a panicked sprint, but faster than 60 FPM was clearly acceptable and up to our judgment. I have never attempted a CESA from 100 feet, but if I did, I suspect I would reach the surface in the neighborhood of 1:15.

You seem to have gotten an unfortunately rare sensible person. In every IDC and IE I have been around, the CDs really stepped hard on taking 30 seconds to go thirty feet, which is nearly impossible in confined water.

Or course, it is entirely possible that the IEs would be more reasonable and aware than the CDs in general. They do seem generally to be far less stuck in ways of thinking.

Last edited:
Ive seen IE examiners allow people to reset clear CESA fails for distance, time and control lately. Mainly if the candidates are chinese.
Certainly they're marked far tougher in IDCs than on IEs now. Suspect politics comes into play.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom