PADI RDP and DSAT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaJorgen

Contributor
Reaction score
Yo

I found somewhere on the internet a series of M-values produced by DSAT. These M-values were used for the PADI Recreational Dive Planer (RDP) diving table. I put them on my homepage (Tag 'Science', 'M-value tables')

However, using these M-values I could not reproduce the PADI table values for no deco limits. ;-0

Is some extra conservatism added to the PADI table? Where can I find info about this? Or is this restricted?

Dr. Deco? :doctor: From some other thread I learned you were involved in the creation of the PADI table. Can you tell me.

Bye

SJ,

What a pity that no-one has replied to this, I too got the values from the Internet (I may have got a link from your website even - which I think is a very cool website - I believe you know my instructor of coltonscuba.com - he liked it too as I'm sure you know) and I also had zero success at reprocucing the tables myself. I would really be interested to know how PADI got their values, but I don't think PADI/DSAT are about to tell us.

If you find out it would be great if you would post it here.

Piscean.

I have the whole DSAT test procedures dated Feb 28 1994. I would have to read through again but if I remember correctly after phase IIb further planned testing was interupted. There were many concerns and recommendations.

Piscean, thanx for the compliment :mrcool:. I think you are right about PADI/DSAT not being eager to tell about the tables. Even our famous and beloved Dr Deco :doctor: (a former DSATer I think) is remarkably silent on this one...:devious:

Develfish, is the DSAT test procedure mailable? :type:

Bye

Its mailable but its the only copy I have. It's about 100 pages spiral bound.
Try to contact
Hamilton Research LTD
80 Grove St.
Tarrytown, NY 10591
I hope the address is still good. I could have asked Hamilton, I saw him at BTS couple weeks ago.

Dear Readers:

Sorry about the delay in answering these requests. I was away from Houston for several weeks. The booklet describing the DSAT test series can be obtained from DSAT (PADI) in California if they still have copies. The calculation of the tables by Dr Rogers from the M-values is described there. It must be remembered that tables will always be “rounded off” from the calculated numbers. A certain small degree of conservatism is built into all tables from this process.

The Phase II b studies were the last tested. At that time (1987), four dives per day were considered quite a bit, and prudence did not indicate testing more than this.

The test dives were initially performed in a chamber with the test divers using a rowing machine to simulate physical activity. The divers were recumbent (increases limb blood flow) and the chamber was kept warm (increases limb blood flow). These chamber dives were for longer exposures than recreational divers could perform with the volumes of air conveniently carried. They were therefore extreme exposures.

A set of exposures was also calculated to be tested in the water using gas loads that were achievable by recreational dive equipment. These were also initially tested in a chamber and then in the open water near the San Juan Islands of Puget Sound (Washington state). All went well and the Doppler devices showed few decompression bubbles.

I would recommend the booklet for anyone who is interested in this study.

Dr Deco
:doctor:

Back
Top Bottom