PADI ReActivate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all-knighter

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been out of the water for several years, but I am looking to shake the dust off the dive gear and get back after it this spring or summer. Just wanted to get people's thoughts on the ReActivate program through PADI. I know it is not required, but highly encouraged. I have no problems sticking my head back in the books to review information, just don't have my original open water course materials. Has anyone tried it or found it useful?

if you've been out of the water for several years some sort of in water refresher is a good idea - whether its the official PADI ReActivate, or just a skills review.

Hey find a buddy and tell him yo have been dry for years and want to get wet again and you wnat to go to a 30' lake some where to do it. You will be surprised how quick yo regain your comfort level.

Interesting that people commenting here don't know the OP but somehow know exactly what he does or does not need.

All-knighter, many people whose diving skills are rusty find that they come back quickly with even a simple refresher, be that with a buddy in a lake or just in a pool. But everyone is different. The "refresher courses", if they are run properly, are designed to assess your specific needs and allow you to polish up the skills that you need to be safe and confident in the water. The cost of a course is a bargain if it achieves that purpose.

On the other hand, if you're sure (as are the others that posted here) that you can achieve the same purpose by hopping in the pool with some gear, or with a buddy in a lake, then go for it.

Interesting that people commenting here don't know the OP but somehow know exactly what he does or does not need.

Hey, the OP asked for opinions and that's what he got. Sorry no one said find a PADIPro and hand them your wallet. Give us a break...geez. :confused:

I conduct refreshers about 3 or more times a week, at times 3 in a day. We have our own indoor heated pool in the LDS and scheduling is easy .Sometimes the resort where the client is going requires it if the diver has not been in the water recently, sometimes the diver knows they really need it. I find many have no idea on dive planning, have trouble clearing water out of a mask, wear excessive amount of weight. Usually get them to wear 4 to 6 lbs of lead in a 3mm full suit, or no lead at all . Our refresher sessions take about 2 hours.We charge what many here may think is excessive ( $140 for 1 person, $20 more for each additional). It's less than what a golf pro gets paid around here. At the end of this refresher I absolutely get results and the client leaves with a good experience and confidence that their future dives will be easier and safer from what we did.

Last edited:
Hey, the OP asked for opinions and that's what he got. Sorry no one said find a PADIPro and hand them your wallet. Give us a break...geez. :confused:

Actually, you are incorrect. The OP specifically asked if anyone had tried PADI's "ReActivate" and had found it useful. The OP didn't ask for opinions of people's impressions of the program.

I don't advocate handing your wallet to anyone, even to a PADIPro. I'm sorry if you've been convinced to do that and it turned out poorly for you. You have to be careful who you trust; unfortunately some people learn that the hard way.

I simply encouraged the OP to find what works best for him to be sure that he can dive safely and confidently. I think it's important, but I didn't hear that coming from the other posters. If you don't think my advice is relevant, perhaps you should spend some time on the A&I forum... just to gain a broader perspective.

The poster is thinking about taking a refresher course and is asking other people if it is worth it.
My response is that I have not taken the PADI ReActivate class so can't directly answer the question but it seems to me that the posters confidence level and capabilities "several years" ago would have a part to play in whether that PADI class would be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom