PADI Rescue Diver CPR Requirement Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jkc_11_20

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for clarification on what exactly satisfies the CPR requirement for PADI Rescue Diver. I got my Red Cross CPR certification about 6 months ago and am wondering if this satisfies the requirement. It is their "Adult CPR" certification, doesn't include "Adult First Aid." I am aware that most dive shops offer the PADI EFR course and there is no doubt it would be a good course to take, however to proceed with the Rescue Diver course will the Red Cross CPR certification work? Thanks in advance...

padi's website just says " Successful completion of a sanctioned CPR program within the past 24 months."
when i took my rescue class five years ago i just had adult cpr from red cross and that was enough.

Pretty sure you need First Aid and CPR. I will check in my manual.

Prior to Knowledge Development Presentation Two and Rescue
Training Session Two, the PADI Rescue Diver course student
diver must successfully complete a sanctioned course in
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR-Primary Care) and basic
first aid (Secondary Care) within the past two years (24 months)

This is from the manual so I would say you will have to take a sanctioned first aid course. Go back to Red Cross and complete the First Aid course or complete the EFR. Nothing wrong with some extra practice.

drew52:
Prior to Knowledge Development Presentation Two and Rescue
Training Session Two, the PADI Rescue Diver course student
diver must successfully complete a sanctioned course in
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR-Primary Care) and basic
first aid (Secondary Care) within the past two years (24 months)

This is from the manual so I would say you will have to take a sanctioned first aid course. Go back to Red Cross and complete the First Aid course or complete the EFR. Nothing wrong with some extra practice.

As stated, yes, your Red Cross CPR class will suffice for that requirement; however, you must have the basic first aid (secondary) to complete the requirement. EFR has been revamped to be a much more inclusive course.

you need both basic CPR and basic First Aid. Red Cross is recognized by PADI/EFR

You need both, but that's OK. You took the CPR class 6 months ago and a refresher there won't hurt. This is the kind of stuff that we don't get to practice so refresher courses are invaluable. We aren't talking about having a checkmark on your resume to be able to continue the next step in training. We're talking about something that you really want to know and really want to be up to date on because there might be a time when you have to know this without having to think through it.

drew52:

The First AID part of the EFR course was very minimal so I would also suggest taking a stand alone class if you want to learn anything beyond the obovious.

Pete

For me, CPR & the EFR was covered by my EMT- First Responder certifiction (& the Health Care Provider CPR that you must have to achieve & maintain it). All I had to do was to get through the rescue course itself & supply copies of my certifications.

I believe you need both CPR and First Aid. I had CPR certification through American Heart Association (I need it for my full time job) but went back and took First Aid through American Red Cross. It was $75.00 and definitely worth it, everyone can use the extra practice.

Back
Top Bottom