PADI Rescue Diver CPR Requirement Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough. But since you're an ardent fan of PADI standards, it's worth noting that PADI has standards of conduct for their members. I'm assuming that your DM is with PADI.

First, I am not a fan of PADI, or any standards in particular. Second, I may or may not be a divemaster or divemaster candidate, and if I am it may or may not be through PADI. I have read through their standards though and I do not see one that discusses being cordial on an internet forum. I am not here representing PADI or any other organization for that matter. Your insinuation is off base and out of line.

Sorry you don't agree with the sentiment I have posted or the way I have expressed it...that one should reach out to PADI to obtain clear guidance on what acceptably meets their standard for a CPR class, instead of asking a bunch of internet personalities.

-Z

I remember seeing the EFR requirements and being in disbelief they could call it a CPR First Aid course, since it was possible to be certified with ZERO actual hands-on training.
Curious either about what came across to you as ZERO hands-on, or perhaps what you mean by hands-on?
Before EFR existed, I took Red Cross CPR and First Aid at the local fire department to satisfy my Rescue Diver requirements. My recollection is that there was no real difference in the content, including the First Aid portion. Injury/illness assessment, shock, spinal injury, bleeding, bandaging, & splints. Maybe I missed a couple. And all of these require hands-on practice. I actually feel that teaching the EFR course as outlined, which I do, takes longer than taking a similar AHA or Red Cross course. There is a lot or repetition, but that does improve learning and retention, so I can't really criticize - just grumble to myself.

When I say ZERO hands-on, I mean the EFR certification could be awarded from an online course. There was no classroom session to test a student's practical application skills with medical equipment on a person or sim. The rescue course would have scenarios involving the skills, but at that point the student would have already been certified and admitted - it would be inappropriate to test them AFTER awarding the cert.
I could be missing something here... maybe it was a refresher course, or some other junk course that had the same name? I do remember being confused why anyone would take the EFR over an AHA/Red Cross BLS course, especially since EFR cost roughly the same and was not widely recognized. If you're going to take a CPR/AED/First Aid class, might as well take one that gets a thumbs-up across the board.

I suppose one good thing I can say about the EFR cert is that it would give you the least problems when it came to getting into a PADI Rescue course, haha

When I say ZERO hands-on, I mean the EFR certification could be awarded from an online course. There was no classroom session to test a student's practical application skills with medical equipment on a person or sim. The rescue course would have scenarios involving the skills, but at that point the student would have already been certified and admitted - it would be inappropriate to test them AFTER awarding the cert.
I could be missing something here... maybe it was a refresher course, or some other junk course that had the same name? I do remember being confused why anyone would take the EFR over an AHA/Red Cross BLS course, especially since EFR cost roughly the same and was not widely recognized. If you're going to take a CPR/AED/First Aid class, might as well take one that gets a thumbs-up across the board.

I suppose one good thing I can say about the EFR cert is that it would give you the least problems when it came to getting into a PADI Rescue course, haha
Emergency First Response is a PADI affiliate/associate/subsidiary/whatever.
Unless I have missed something major, that is NOT available as an online course, although I wish the academic study portion was. It requires multiple hand-on skills development and practice scenarios for both Primary and Secondary care. Rescue Diver requires a course with hand-on skills development, online only do not meet the requirement. Perhaps you were looking at a different brand with a similar alphabet soup.

First there is the obvious question of whether then non-EFR course meets PADI standards. Verify by asking PADI or shop owner or both.
Then, can the diver DO the stuff? On non-EFR courses I've taken I saw students there just because their employer required it.
As an instructor you could require all your Rescue students perform ALL the EFR skills. Who does that? Extra instructor pay for that extra time?
If I didn't read a page of my old EFR manual daily my certificate would be worthless.

Wrong.
When I say ZERO hands-on, I mean the EFR certification could be awarded from an online course. There was no classroom session to test a student's practical application skills with medical equipment on a person or sim.
Wrong. Completely.

Hello would somebody happen to know if the online-only Red Cross CPR/First Aid course counts as "sacntioned" for the padi rescue course requirement? Thank you

Hello would somebody happen to know if the online-only Red Cross CPR/First Aid course counts as "sacntioned" for the padi rescue course requirement? Thank you
No, no online-only course meets the requirement.

For renewal, I took the Red Cross course on-line, followed by an in-person session at the dive shop. The dive shop website has a link to the Red Cross training to set it up.

Back
Top Bottom