Padi rescue Diver Swim requirements??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gedunk:
LOL .... cut it out you two, your scaring everyone away. :wink:

We do our best to match up body types in the class so a 100 pound person isn't trying to haul a 200 pound person out of the water.

The hauling out part is much less important than demonstrating continual, effect rescue breathing throughout the senarios presented. Learning to keep the head above the water at all times, and displaying good rescue breathing technique are the most important skills learned in this course IMO.

Unless your a Romanian weight lifter, no one expects a 100 pounder to clean and jerk someone twice their weight up on shore or up on a boat by themselves. At least i don't. :wink:

When practicing lifts and carries i match divers up so it's possible for them to do. I also match them up so it's not so easy so they can play with how they might get it done in a real diving situation.

When doing rescue scenarios I love to have a tiny little wife and a big burly husband so they can see what it's going to be like if she ever has to help him for real.

We of course use methods that are safe given the size and strength of the students...IOW I don't have a 100 pound student practice a firemens carry on a 300 pound person but little people who dive with big people need to think about how they perform a rescue.

gedunk:
LOL .... cut it out you two, your scaring everyone away. :wink:

We do our best to match up body types in the class so a 100 pound person isn't trying to haul a 200 pound person out of the water.

What makes you think fate will be that considerate when a real rescue is needed?

I had to simulate rescue of a 260 pounder, and I'm 155. Did I haul him out of the water by myself? No, but I had to coordinate other rescue students, and enlist the help of staff members acting the role of bystanders, including reluctance to get involved. Problem solving is a big part of rescue, and diving, and life, for that matter. So is good planning - as in don't dive with someone you can't haul out of the water with the resources available at that time and place.

Omicron:
:)

True - doing the rescue breathing while removing gear and swimming was the hardest to do, as far as timing and coordination. Moving my guy around was not the worst part.

The worst part for us was actually having to rescue breathe, as in the 'victim' had to relax and let you inflate their lungs, and everyone in the class took a turn as a victim - gives you a whole new appreciation for oral hygeine, and reminded me why I would never date anyone who smokes.

gedunk:
Thats fine if you were comfortable with it, but the point i was trying to make is if you incapacitate yourself lifting too much weight, your not going to be effective rescue breathing. It is a consideration since if you throw your back out so bad you can't rescue breath anymore, it matters not if the victim is out of the water and you might become a victim too.

Effective rescue breathing comes first, removing the victim from the water comes second. Both are important skills but good rescue breathing should take priority.

There are two ways to get someone out of the water.

Work hard, or work smart.

dweeb:
The worst part for us was actually having to rescue breathe, as in the 'victim' had to relax and let you inflate their lungs, and everyone in the class took a turn as a victim - gives you a whole new appreciation for oral hygeine, and reminded me why I would never date anyone who smokes.

Wow! That's different. We didn't do actual rescue breaths on the victim....that woulda been different.

underwater daphne:
oh good, coz i didn't remember my instr. telling me that we had to do those things.
he did tell us to get in shape though, coz it's tiring pulling an other diver and practising those exercises. but i should be up for that, just not for any fitness tests.

Then your first priority should be to get 'up' for a fitness test. If you're worried about the requirements, the problem lies not with the requirements, but with your preparation. When I took rescue, one of the simulated scenarios we had to deal with, without any advance clue we would face this, was a participant in the rescue keeling over with a heart attack, because this is an all too common occurrence, because rescues are strenuous AND stressful all at once. There's no point in knowing what to do if you're not capable of actually doing it when the chips are down.

If you're getting into diving enough to pursue your rescue cert, it's time to get off the fence and accept the fact that you're involved in an activity that can become physically challenging in a life or death way without warning, and commit to any lifestyle changes necessary to meet that challenge. If that means a healthier diet, or hitting the gym or track a few times a week, then so be it.

underwater daphne:
still a bit worried about the course as i'm not used to diving in fresh water and they might have to save me for real :wink:

If you are really that intimidated, then you should take a few specialties, or just get more diving in, before taking the course. Anxiety interferes with learning. Put it off and take the time to get in better shape and dive more, then you'll have two fewer worries distracting you from learning.

dweeb:

That sounds dangerous. I'm really surprised that an instructor would do that. I know you're not supposed to give chest compressions to a person whose heart is beating, I would think the same applies for breathing. Not to mention if something did go wrong, the shop would probably be liable.

dweeb:
What makes you think fate will be that considerate when a real rescue is needed?

I had to simulate rescue of a 260 pounder, and I'm 155. Did I haul him out of the water by myself? No, but I had to coordinate other rescue students, and enlist the help of staff members acting the role of bystanders, including reluctance to get involved. Problem solving is a big part of rescue, and diving, and life, for that matter. So is good planning - as in don't dive with someone you can't haul out of the water with the resources available at that time and place.

Oh my, i've attracted the attention of the dweeb.

I don't recall saying fate would be that considerate dweeb. Only that lifting an unrealistic weight is not a requirement of the rescue course. The rest of your quoted post is generally required of a rescue course.

Oh and who was the instructor who required real rescue breathing for your rescue course? I'd like to meet that individual.

Stivo:
That sounds dangerous. I'm really surprised that an instructor would do that. I know you're not supposed to give chest compressions to a person whose heart is beating, I would think the same applies for breathing. Not to mention if something did go wrong, the shop would probably be liable.

No worries Stivo, it is not an accepted practice from any agency i'm aware of. Lord knows where the dweeb is coming up with this stuff.

gedunk:
No worries Stivo, it is not an accepted practice. Lord knows where the dweeb is coming up with this stuff.

I just finished my rescue last month... that sounded a bit of a stretch... :)

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom