Padi rescue Diver Swim requirements??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dweeb:
The worst part for us was actually having to rescue breathe, as in the 'victim' had to relax and let you inflate their lungs, and everyone in the class took a turn as a victim - gives you a whole new appreciation for oral hygeine, and reminded me why I would never date anyone who smokes.

That is BS, who in there right mind would let you practise that............if that is truely the case, that instructor should be shot, and if he survives, be shot again. That's why we have the DAN dummies to practise on.

As far as the swimming is concerned, you'll get tired no matter what.

Stivo:
That sounds dangerous..

It's not, if the 'victim' is cooperative; it was common practice in a lot of rescue courses - of course, this was before anyone had heard of HIV.

Stivo:
I'm really surprised that an instructor would do that.

The instructor was a physician.

gedunk:
Oh my, i've attracted the attention of the dweeb.

Yeah, this is your 15 minutes. Enjoy it.

gedunk:
I don't recall saying fate would be that considerate dweeb. Only that lifting an unrealistic weight is not a requirement of the rescue course. The rest of your quoted post is generally required of a rescue course.

But your matching of rescuer/victim size relieves them of having to solve the problem of a mismatch. Sure you can cover how, but it's a better learning experience to just toss it out there as part of a scenario, and let them figure it out.

gedunk:
Oh and who was the instructor who required real rescue breathing for your rescue course? I'd like to meet that individual.

It was a common practice then. I've met many others who did the same in those days. It's been discontinued largely out of fear of communicable diseases.

gedunk:
No worries Stivo, it is not an accepted practice from any agency i'm aware of. Lord knows where the dweeb is coming up with this stuff.

Not now. I'm talking about when people still played music on 12" vinyl disks with a tonearm.

dweeb:
Not now. I'm talking about when people still played music on 12" vinyl disks with a tonearm.
Hey...I still pull out the vinyl every now and again....

dweeb:
The instructor was a physician.

Was his name Jack Kevorkian? :wink:

Is this a hose-job?

ShakaZulu:
That is BS, who in there right mind would let you practise that............if that is truely the case, that instructor should be shot, and if he survives, be shot again. That's why we have the DAN dummies to practise on.

There were no DAN dummies then, or EFR or MFA. The instructor was a physician who'd spent six months running a hyperbaric treatment facility, so he knew what he was doing.
I've met lots of other people who did rescue before or when I did who did the same.

ShakaZulu:
As far as the swimming is concerned, you'll get tired no matter what.

I didn't get tired, and that was before I decided to get in shape. Shouldn't be a problem for you, either. Your profile says you're into motorcycling and mountain biking.
100 miles of tight technical trails in the Appalachians on an open class enduro is more tiring than running a marathon.

just kidding dweeb... how long ago was that? if you don't mind answering? :)

dweeb:

Well thats just great for then but this is now. It has no place in todays rescue course so i don't see the value of mentioning it today. It just confuses people about what to expect IMO. Rescue breathing is only simulated today, in any rescue course i have ever heard of or taught. However, sanctioned CPR training is required as part of the course but is generally taught separately from the rescue course.

By the way, i'm curious as to when you took your rescue course also. I took mine in the early 90's, no dummies used for the course, no real rescue breathing was done. First CPR training i ever had was in the military in the late 70's. No real rescue breathing was done then either.

So what speed was your vinyl turning when you took it ..... 33-1/3? :wink:

I took my certification back in '73 we also did resuce breathing on live people ( classmates that is). Things were much differenct back then BCs had not even been invented yet! My check out dive was also an ice dive. Also there were no specialties one needed to learn all of this just to get certified. Things have changed considerably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom