Padi Self reliant diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My experience is that boats generally fall into three categories:
- Anyone can dive solo
- No-one can dive solo
- Those with solo certs can dive solo

There's probably a fourth "stealth" bucket, wherein solo diving is allowed on a case-by-case basis, usually involving divers who are known entities to the dive op.

RJP is absolutely correct, it's that simple. I've dived solo in all 3 allowable categories. If you don't know the operator, you must simply inquire if you will be able to solo with your cert. Since getting certified, I have been 100% successful, avoid the operators that do not allow solo, it's their choice and policy.

Though all my contemporary training was PADI, I chose the SDI solo diver cert to avoid the ambiguity of solo vs. self-reliant. I ran an imperfectly designed poll on the solo forum in May regarding certification and the ability to solo dive. Of 121 respondents, 78 were not solo certified, 30 were SDI certified, and only 3 were PADI certified http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/solo-divers/507560-solo-diving-certification.html

Good solo diving, Craig

You see, that is a typical question and as I have told people in similar threads, I am not into giving out names in the open forum. The dive ops are not specifically targeting me with their general nannyisms, but everyone, usually me less than others. The Keys in particular, particularly the upper Keys. If you wish to know, then PM me. One of them recently went TU, good riddance, the captain was a total jackarse. But the answer is pretty much all of them. Therei s a reason diving in the Keys is dropping off. Though this last trip down there was a glimmer of hope, it seems several are now providing the course so I cannot see how they can continue to refuse solo certified divers.

My general problem with the Keys is the stifling, ever changing ridiculous local rules about silly things like where your fins should be when re-entering the boat as if people who have been diving for over 40 years cannot figure that out or worse, the last minute cancellations after it is too late to find another operator especially when it becomes apparent they knew earlier in the day etc. In other words, non professionalism and dishonesty and bad attitude and then the cherry is when they refuse to recognize a certification or try to layer additional rules on top.

N

Wow...knock on wood that I never encounter the same Yo-yos that Nemrod has. I still enjoy the Keys. So far so good.

I'm curious, have any of you divemasters/instructors/etc., been turned down on a dive boat for solo diving after showing your pro card?

I know this is a little off topic but I never show my Pro Certs anymore while vacationing...regardless of the style of diving I am doing. The last time I did I was introduced during the dive brief as an instructor and the rest of the trip my Daughter and I were bugged from other patrons looking for free advice. Now I am just another Joe Blow on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom