padi self reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I coming diving with you?

View attachment 181544

Frank, where the heck did you dig up that photo of me? Did my ex send it to you? Damn it. Though looking at it now, I was one hot dude back then! :)

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 06:59 PM ----------

I have a secured spot on the season opener. Be there, my treat...

Ah Viz you needn't pay my freight. I'd be there, but.....no kidding, I'm babysitting "patrons" in the Aquarium that day. Its my first DM tank-ride - no training wheels.

Frank, where the heck did you dig up that photo of me? Did my ex send it to you? Damn it. Though looking at it now, I was one hot dude back then! :)

That actually is a photo of me.... I wasn't always that good looking, though.

Captain Frank.jpg

That actually is a photo of me.... I wasn't always that good looking, though.

View attachment 181552

Oh? Hmmm. Well, say hi to our mom for me when you see her ok?

Last edited:
I've seen threads take some real odd twists and turns but this has to set some kinda record! :D

Hey! It is past 50 posts which is the *usual* marker for anything even remotely related to the OP.

So if you use "PADI", "self-reliant", "solo", or "Frank" in your post, you can play too. :D

So one day a self reliant Frank solos into a Padi bar and shouts for a reheaded...

Mountains are free, but skiing on them is not.

Ah... skiing is free if you either cross country or telemark. But imagine an industry that gradually persuades everbody those forms of skiing are not desirable. Now you have to pay for everything.

Ah... skiing is free if you either cross country or telemark. But imagine an industry that gradually persuades everbody those forms of skiing are not desirable. Now you have to pay for everything.

Which is why 75% of the SB membership has never tried freediving, or worse, does not even know what a freediver looks like in real life....and probably more don't really know how to even snorkel with a real j snorkel , mask and fins without a BC.
The industry won't push what it can't make much money from, even though the PUSHING of snorkling and freediving would clearly create better scuba divers( from the base freediving would give them).

The industry won't push what it can't make much money from

I think that you have hit on a good definition of "industry"...

It would be contrary to the best interests of any business to promote something that didn't positively affect the financial situation of that business, right? If you are running a company and do that, the board of directors will fire you unless you can prove that something producing a short term loss will result in long term profits. Making people better divers doesn't necessarily sell more gear or travel or training (although I guess I can see that it might in some cases).

Don't get me wrong - I totally agree with your premise! But that underscores the difference in the mission of divers (alone or in groups) and the mission of the dive industry. Local dive clubs, for example, have more of a vested interest in promoting better diving without the need to make a profit.

Each has it's role, though. Without the dive industry, we wouldn't have developed the gear that we currently use today. I'm not sure we would even have scuba diving at all if it wasn't for the fact that people figured out a way to make money by designing, building and selling regulators, right?

Back
Top Bottom