padi self reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A course can also help you 'grow into solo.' When I got my SDI Solo cert., I didn't quit buddy diving, and I'm considerably more cautious about approaching a prospective dive solo than I am with a dive guide. Particularly a new site. On a trip to Key Largo last September I got in 20 dives following the guide, and never once said anything like 'Hey, I'm solo. See you back on the boat.' I solo shore dive at a local quarry, and hope to do so in Bonaire.

My point is, not everyone who chooses to dive solo immediately starts 'pushing the envelope.' It's possible to proceed with 'baby steps first,' even as we realize any dive can potentially be fatal. So the degree of mastery necessarily to mitigate the risk isn't equal across all dives. A shallow quarry dive with no current right near shore that's a repeat and familiar is different from an ocean dive with moderate current at a new site, for example.

Richard.

To follow up on the other analogy, I ski too, and of course it's a lot of fun to go on a ski trip with someone. The car ride, the lift lines, the apres-ski bar - all very social situations. You know what isn't a social situation? Skiing! I mean, I find it annoying to try to match my pace with another skier, it's not like you are talking while you are skiing, I'm either having to hurry up or wait when I do have someone who wants to stick with me. I MUCH prefer to say "see you at the lift, have a good run".

Which is why, when I find a good ski buddy or dive buddy, I truly appreciate it. I've skied with many others who do not ski at the pace I like, but when I did find someone, boy was it totally enjoyable to go down the mountain in the same rhythm, almost turn for turn, doing bumps and steeps and carving giant turns. Then stopping and grinning from ear to ear. It's more fun when there is someone to share it with to take in the moment. I've been there many times having to meet others down at the lift.

Same thing with diving... Finally found a buddy who takes the same amount of time to get ready, wants to dive at the same pace, wants to hunt lobsters and discover new places, has a comparable skill set, is as fanatical about the equipment as I am, and we trust each other's skills to be totally comfortable in the water together. I like to solo, but it's just much more fun for me to share the moment than to talk about with someone later who was not there.

The ONLY value for a course like this would be solo recognition by a majority of dive operations. Unfortunately, Padi simply cannot muster the balls to admit they were wrong and condone solo diving so they have some kind of in between, sorta, kinda like solo but not really but just kinda so maybe you can and maybe you cannot, who the heck knows what self reliant means?

I have been going in the water, alone, by myself, from the get go. I do not even agree with what most solo methodologies teach and since I have at least as much experience solo as they do then the only I mean ONLY reason I might consider such as course is if it said in big print---->SOLO DIVER <--------.

Like the SDI Solo Diver course does. I learned quite a few new tips and tricks in mine. Most of them due to the instructor that taught it. But some were in the Solo Manual itself.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Which is why, when I find a good ski buddy or dive buddy, I truly appreciate it. I've skied with many others who do not ski at the pace I like, but when I did find someone, boy was it totally enjoyable to go down the mountain in the same rhythm, almost turn for turn, doing bumps and steeps and carving giant turns. Then stopping and grinning from ear to ear. It's more fun when there is someone to share it with to take in the moment. I've been there many times having to meet others down at the lift.

Same thing with diving... Finally found a buddy who takes the same amount of time to get ready, wants to dive at the same pace, wants to hunt lobsters and discover new places, has a comparable skill set, is as fanatical about the equipment as I am, and we trust each other's skills to be totally comfortable in the water together. I like to solo, but it's just much more fun for me to share the moment than to talk about with someone later who was not there.

Yup! In many of these threads, "it's a matter of personal preference" or "it works for me" means "yes, I know that I am diving in a sloppy and dangerous fashion not recommended by any agency, but I don't actually feel like addressing that right now".

However, THIS truly is a matter of personal preference....

I never enjoyed skiing with anyone, even if they were at my level. And while I do like diving with a buddy sometimes, other times I really just want to be alone with the camera. Maybe I have some sort of personality disorder! :D

But seriously, I totally understand how certain types of diving are much more enjoyable as part of a team. Also, I would never have photos or video of me diving if I didn't have a buddy with me, right?

Just turn the camera around?

Exactly. Check out my snorkeling selfie.

Turks_Snorkeling_2014 - 004.jpg

I think taking the SDI Solo Course is a good decision even if you think you know what you're doing. When I took the course, I already felt like I knew enough but thought solo diving was not the kind of activity I should enter into lightly nor pridefully. Like Some of the others that posted, I learned some better ways of doing things. Clearly, your instructor makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just finished my SDI solo yesterday. If for nothing else it's a good refresher on gas planning. I did the dives on the rebreather though, so my turn point was limited by my cold tolerance rather than pressure.

I just finished my SDI solo yesterday. If for nothing else it's a good refresher on gas planning. I did the dives on the rebreather though, so my turn point was limited by my cold tolerance rather than pressure.

I guess it was my impression that rebreather pilots were solo by definition - you can't donate your hoses, and any open circuit you take with you is deco gas for you only...(?)

Started my online SDI solo academics. Doing the open water when Dutch Springs opens for weekdays....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom