padi self reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What the hell is a "dive locator". Sounds like a truly comical place i wouldn't want to visit!

HEY! Don't be talking trash about the happiest place on earth... :)

Seriously, they do require a transponder for solo dives, which makes sense as maniago pointed, and potentially for non-fatal issues as well (although it's hard to imagine a situation where that could happen).

Dutch Springs takes diver safety very seriously, and it's reasonable to require solo divers to have some sort of basic training and to file a dive plan. At least, it's reasonable for a private business to have that requirement if you want to solo dive in their facility. I know that may irritate divers with a strong libertarian streak who question any sort of regulation.

Rubbish. Dutch is a fantastic quarry - as good as any quarry can be. And its huge - it really ought to be called a lake (you could water ski on it easy) and reasonably deep ~90-120' I think depending on the water table.

So it's a quarry. There are many thousands around the world where people dive. Making people pay an extra fee for some idiotic bit of kit (and a deposit of even more) is utterly stupid. Just tow an SMB if they're that paranoid about it.

People die in quarries all over the world. Most of them are or were in the water with buddys. Some still take days or even weeks to find yet i don't see that policy being forced on EVERY diver. It looks like a simple money making scam.

So it's a quarry. There are many thousands around the world where people dive. Making people pay an extra fee for some idiotic bit of kit (and a deposit of even more) is utterly stupid. Just tow an SMB if they're that paranoid about it.

People die in quarries all over the world. Most of them are or were in the water with buddys. Some still take days or even weeks to find yet i don't see that policy being forced on EVERY diver. It looks like a simple money making scam.

Wow, you know quite a lot about a business on the other side of the planet that you never heard of until 9 hours ago. Here we have been diving there for decades, having seen lots of amazing days of training and heartbreaking days of tragedy, and we never realized that this place was run by stupid, idiotic people scamming us out of $16.

Thanks for your insight!

Didn't you know, DoctorMike, every dive professional who charges for their service is a scam. Everything should be free!! Free!!!, I say.

That goes with healthcare, too.

Didn't you know, DoctorMike, every dive professional who charges for their service is a scam. Everything should be free!! Free!!!, I say.

Yup, and like most successful [-]scams[/-] businesses, I have had to adapt to current social media marketing techniques...

I obviously get the sarcasm. I always have to reply when healthcare is mentioned. Unfortunately, there are actually rare instructors so I've read (and apparently almost ALL DMs in N.A.) that work for free (or "perks"), a subject that has been discussed to death. So it is possible for all scuba instruction to be free. No healthcare anywhere can ever be free--ask any Canadian about taxes.

HEY! Don't be talking trash about the happiest place on earth... :)

If you are "in with the in crowd", it is a happy place. Otherwise, mostly mass mayhem.

...//... I know that may irritate divers with a strong libertarian streak who question any sort of regulation.

I'm a centrist, they annoy me too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom