• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

PADI Self Reliant vs SDI Solo

Discussion in 'Solo Divers' started by Pyramid65, May 25, 2015.

1. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Hi Chrisch,

Yeah, I don't recall where I read about copy write infringement, but I think the link came from a Scuba Board post. IANAL, therefore, I don't recall the legal theory used to keep PADI and SSI (or any other agency) from using the word "solo" in the cert title.

Yeah, definitely go for the SDI course. I wanted the SDI originally; however, geography precluded that. My instructor could have jumped through hoops and certified me through SDI, but that comes with time delays and an uncertain schedule. My Instructor showed me both outlines and said he can do the PADI course in about two weeks. I jumped on the schedule and got the PADI course.

thanks,
    markm

2. markmud

Hi Morrisman,

I am sorry that I did not write my post clearly and you missed my intended context.

In my mind, Solo diving is not stigmatized, but the PADI S/R cert has been.

Those that don't know about certified solo diving may have an ignorant impression the first time they see a solo diver, but it is logical. Better to rely on yourself than to rely on an insta-buddy or other untrained diver with your life.

markm

3. markmud

Hi Tursiops,
    You wrote:
    "Actually, the PADI instructor can add information/skills too, but just cannot require them for certification.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. My PADI instructor added information/skills too.

markm

4. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

If 'the other' attorney is a compelling enough debater to confuse the jury, seems like it's possible they might not see them as the same.

When I've looked at descriptions of the courses, the subjective 'spirit' I perceived was this:

1.) SDI Course - the purpose is to dive solo, and you'll need to become self-reliant to do that. The course explains there's value beyond that, but the prime purpose is very clearly deliberate solo diving.

2.) PADI Course - the purpose is to become self-reliant; this is desirable in a number of contexts, such as can arise if you become separated from a buddy and find yourself on an unplanned solo dive. And one of the various things you could use this training for is planned buddy less diving.

Accepting that the basic knowledge and skills taught (and hopefully competency typically attained?) are reportedly equivalent, these 2 courses may well 'look different' to a jury of non-divers, particularly since the people educating them about it will probably be partisan (for the plaintiff or defense).

While the issue of the PADI Self-Reliant course/cert. being 'stigmatized' was brought up in a later post, I suspect that's a natural consequence of PADI trying to distance itself from endorsing solo diving, even when offering a solo course. As per the quote above, "except for the word solo."

In a solo diving course, that could be a pretty important word.

Richard.

SoloMonkey likes this.
  5. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

Why? It seems to me that a dive operator deciding what cert to allow would base their decision on the certs requirements, not the optional things that an individual instructor can add.

An instructor CAN require a fully solo dive at the end tells an operator nothing regarding whether a particular diver has actually ever done a true solo dive before.

6. Trailboss123

Trailboss123 Divemaster ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Anybody find it interesting that PADI requires 40 logged dives to begin the Divemaster cert process, SDI requires 50 logged dives to begin their Divemaster cert process and they both require 100 logged dives to begin the respective Self Reliant and Solo cert process?

drrich2 likes this.
  7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Please note the SDI solo class does NOT require a solo dive for certification.

8. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    In addition, PADI allows the S/R class to begin (for a certified and active PADI Divemaster) with just 60 dives, but still requires 100 for certification.

Trailboss123 likes this.
  9. stuartv

stuartv Seeking the Light

Good point. My Solo instructor required me to do one. From prior posts I mistakenly assumed it was required by standards. I see now that it is not. My bad for implying that it is.

10. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I mostly do drift diving in SE Florida and that's where I did my SDI solo. I'm not sure how easy it would be to supervise a solo dive from a live boat. You're already carrying a flag, I suppose you could still shoot your SMB...