Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle1997

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi
Would you count all free dives or skin divers under the same number of dives that you use for the scuba or would you put them all in a diffrent log book.

Since I don't know ethir or not to log then all in my padi log book which which is used for scuba or if I can get a sepfic free to diving log book.

What do you guys use to log free dives in if you do log them at all.

Thanks

I'd be inclined to log them separately. As a rule of thumb some agencies consider a logged dive as 20 minutes + and on scuba. Skin / free dives will not count towards overall dive count, particularly if you need to provide proof of minimum dives as a prerequisite for future training or participating in organised dives.

That said, it's your logbook and you can put what you like in it.

My buddies and I go freedive with "regular" open boat charters with mostly compressed air divers. We always look at each other and joke around with our dive count when we fill that part of the waivers. No, I don't log my freedives because there's just way too many of them.

As a rule of thumb some agencies consider a logged dive as 20 minutes + and on scuba.
Before someone else chimes in That's only the standard for PADI training dives (also they must be below 6m)

However I would absolutely agree that free dives etc don't count as prerequisite dives towards future training. I too would personally log them in another book

I personally keep a separate paper log of all my teaching dives with the dive numbers are sequential and combined with my main (electronic) log, I keep this seperate book so students can sign as my buddy and has the benefit to me of something I can look back on.

I gave up logging my visits to the shower well over 50 years ago.
If you are doing breathhold dives past 165' or 5 minutes, yes by all means, log them! Otherwise it would be like logging showers.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom