PADI swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The other day, I was talking to a newbie diver who was certified while on vacation last month and we were discussing the state of modern dive instruction. I was telling him of my boys' swim test last fall and how my youngest (who was a bit out of shape) had to push himself to complete the test (the situation has been rectified by twice-weekly visits to the community center's indoor pool and exercise room). The newbie then informed me that his class (PADI) took their swim test with snorkeling gear! Is this how it's being done now? I have looked all over the web trying to find out if this is in the PADI instructor's manual but, not being an instructor myself, I do not have access to a current manual.

Is this actually in the manual? Personally, I find it a bit difficult to believe.

You can do the swim test for 200 yards without snorkel and fins or 300 yards with snorkel and fins. It is an RSTC standard. It is controversial, to say the least, and it has been widely and contentiously debated many times.

By the way, back when I learned in a resort in Mexico, I not only did not have to do any swim test, they did not even ask me if I knew how to swim. It was a standards violation then and now, but those things have been going on for quite some time.

PADI, as well as most other agencies, requires each student in an entry level Scuba course to demonstrate swimming non-stop 200 yards without equipment or 300 yards with MF&S. This has been the case for several years.

The other day, I was talking to a newbie diver who was certified while on vacation last month and we were discussing the state of modern dive instruction. I was telling him of my boys' swim test last fall and how my youngest (who was a bit out of shape) had to push himself to complete the test (the situation has been rectified by twice-weekly visits to the community center's indoor pool and exercise room). The newbie then informed me that his class (PADI) took their swim test with snorkeling gear! Is this how it's being done now? I have looked all over the web trying to find out if this is in the PADI instructor's manual but, not being an instructor myself, I do not have access to a current manual.

Is this actually in the manual? Personally, I find it a bit difficult to believe.

Not an instructor but AIUI, PADI instructors have the option of allowing students to do the test in snorkeling gear including fins, but the distance is 300 yards rather than 200. The instructors I value will not allow this option. As it is, many of us think 200 yards with any stroke and untimed is inadequate, but that's:deadhorse:

Guy

We require 200 yds no MSF, 10 min tread, and 25 ft UW swim to begin training. 300 yds again no MSF, 15 min tread, and 50 ft UW swim to exit. Usually the students knock out the exit requirements first night but I also begin each pool session with a 4 lap swim to get warmed up so by the time they are finished if they have not done the 300 yet it is fairly easy to complete. Paladin had the right idea by sending his son for swimming as well.

When I did mine I had a lame shoulder so I did some of it freestyle, some on my back and some in the crawl venue, no fins or snorkle. No problemo. I suppose you could do it doggie fashion if you wanted to. All in all, I think the whole concept is a waste of time. If you are in trouble on the surface and jetison your gear your wetsuit should make you a floater.

Yeah, the swim test has been debated to death and I'm a big culprit. I do believe PADI should have one standard test for all. I don't think it should be "instructor's choice" as far as which one to do or whether to even mention there are 2 choices.

I got certified last May I do not recall the option. We had to do 200 yard swim (No time limit any type of swim stroke) tread water for 10min again any way.

Paladin954:
Is this actually in the manual?

Yep, since about 2000 or 2001. It's not allowed in Europe. SSI started allowing it sometime after PADI. I'm not sure if any other agencies allow it or not. I know SEI does not allow it.

When I did my NAUI OW I had to do 350yd in 9min, 25yd UW, 10min tread and a 5lb retrieve from 8' to start, all without MSF, plus another swim with MSF. I don't remember how long the MSF was, but it couldn't have been more than 500yds (just based on how much time it took).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom