PADI swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not including certification requirements, how far (or how long) does a scuba diver have to swim when diving? How does that relate to the various certification requirements discussed in the thread?

My opinion-I have yet to witness or hear of any situation where a diver had to swim at all without any equipment. I feel that if the agency requires swim standards just because it's generally a good idea that's fine. If the idea is it relates to anything that a diver will actually have to do at some point then I'm puzzled.

awap:
how far (or how long) does a scuba diver have to swim when diving?

Not at all.

awap:
How does that relate to the various certification requirements discussed in the thread?

I don't understand your question.

TMHeimer:
The PADO OW course I took required the swimming stuff before anything else in the pool.

I'm guessing you meant PADI, not PADO. Good for your instructor. PADI standards do not require it. PADI requires the swim/snorkel test be completed prior to certification.

Repeat: I think that the swim test should be abolished. I know of several wannabe divers who can't swim so they won't go in to diving because of it. Like I said before, if you drop your gear your wetsuit should make you float.

Hmmm... that is weird! Were you able to run before you learned to walk, also? :confused:

Of course....its Walter. He popped out the womb with a beard too.

In my OW class we had to complete a swim test, and although I cant remember the specifics, it wasnt an easy feat to accomplish! In fact one pretty in shape teenager failed the test and only after working on swimming with the instructor over a weekend and trying again and then passing could he get certified. I dont understand why anyone would say that swimming shouldnt be a requirement for diving. Sure your wetsuit will make you float, but why not just learn to swim?? People are natural swimmers...pretty much if you dont freak out when you hit the water you will swim.

I'm guessing you meant PADI, not PADO. Good for your instructor. PADI standards do not require it. PADI requires the swim/snorkel test be completed prior to certification.

There may be cases where you would like to delay the swimming test.

For example, where I work about 98% of people come into the course with at least 2 swimming diplomas. It's really not a question of whether or not they can swim. So when we can (when the weather is good enough) we delay the swimming until the Open Water sessions so we don't have to "waste" valuable swimming pool time on things we know they can do.

In other cases, obviously, you do it in the pool. The students I have right now hadn't been swimming in a long time and seemed intimidated by the swimming test. So I did it on Mod-1 and got it out of the way so it wasn't on their minds any more.

I've only ever seen a few people come for diving lessons who said they can't swim at all.... Those ones get an "intro" dive and a check to see how well, if at all, they can swim in order to see if it's even worth it for them to sign up for diving lessons.

The point here being that just stating that doing the swimming test first is best might *sound* great on the internet, but there are even better reasons to keep an open mind about when you put the test in.

Hence the freedom for the instructor to decide for themselves when it makes sense.

Oh.... and being a good swimmer doesn't predispose anyone to being a good diver. Some marginal swimmers are excellent divers and some marginal divers are excellent swimmers.

R..

Repeat: I think that the swim test should be abolished. I know of several wannabe divers who can't swim so they won't go in to diving because of it. Like I said before, if you drop your gear your wetsuit should make you float.

Yeah great idea!

/ sarcasm off

(Maybe you should repeat yourself a third time and you just might start to get people agreeing with you. Especially if you add in some sort of disclaimer that the nonswimmer must always enter the water with a wetsuit and a pair of those floaty arm thingies)

There is a whole system of different swimming levels here that you could compare to different certifications for diving. They just have letters like A, B, C etc.

The Dutch are water people and living under sea level probably has an effect on the national psyche. Almost everyone in the country can swim and most of them have at least a B or C diploma. Learning to swim here is just one of those things that you do without thinking about it. Like learning to ride a bicycle. Everyone just does it.

R..

Back
Top Bottom