PADI swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least knowing how to swim (not necessarily a long swim test) should be a given for anyone taking a dive course. Shouldn't even have to be an agency requirement. Like, wear your seat belt because it makes sense--no laws needed. One wouldn't take a sky diving course if one's never been in a plane. If you do any activity in or near water approaching a depth of your chest you should know how to swim. How far one wants to take it as it relates to diving is debatable.

It's not a requirement to do the treading water directly after the swim. Your instructor could have given you time to rest or they even could have done swimming and treading water on different days....

It would have been better to do that than to take the snorkel option, imho.

Either way you got through it so that's all that matters.

R..

I disagree, I think it's very important that you do the float/tread immediately following the swim. I think the swim test should serve two purposes: it should show that you are comfortable in the water, and that you are in good enough condition that you have adequate energy reserve/stamina to deal with unexpected events. That's what the distance and tread requirement is for; I can tell if someone's comfortable in the water after they've taken two strokes (and AFAIC, dog-paddling is not a stroke). I expect that was the instructor's rationale in this case - I know the BSA swim requirement is predicated on that.

I'd hope that any instructor would feel the same, although I understand your special circumstances. In California when I was growing up, it seemed as if all kids (except inner-city ones) learned to swim as a matter of routine. We used to have similar certificates (Red Cross?); not sure if they still exist. But if that were the case, I might just ask if someone can swim, what level, and do as you did. However, lacking some kind of _meaningful_ certificate, some people will lie or just overestimate their own competence. Doing the swim/tread first thing separates that group out, and it's very useful to know who's lacks good self-evaluation skills.

I believe a time requirement demonstrates how good a swimmer you are as well as your conditioning, and I firmly believe that as you move into more advanced areas of diving the swim requirement should also become more stringent. For example, GUE's requirement for Rec/Fundies is 300 yds./14 minutes and a 15m/16yd. breath hold. I think 300 yards in fourteen minutes is overly generous; I recently tried to swim breast or sidestroke slowly, and was unable to get my time UP to 10 minutes. Ten or at most twelve minutes would seem a better standard to me. For Tech 1 that goes up to 400yd./14 min., 18m/20yd. breath hold. For Tech 2/Cave 2 and above it's 500 yd./14 min., 18m/20yd. breath hold; I could see bumping the latter to 23m/25 yds or even 30m/100 feet, and I like the NAUI basic swim requirement described earlier, which equals/exceeds the GUE tech standards. But I know that will never happen with the for-profit OW agencies.

Guy

It was our choice for the swim test...and my wife and I were the only ones that choose the swim test besides one woman who was a former competitive high school swimmer.

BIG mistake! LOL Why? Because I am what they call a "rock" in technical terms when it comes to treading water. I was tired after the swim and it took everything I had to tread water....I was soooooo freaking glad when that was over!

+1. I was in pretty good cardio shape when I took OW, but the 200 yd swim just about did me in... I sink like you read about, and it's a lot of work for me just to stay on top of the water, much less move myself through it. We got a short break before treading water, so that wasn't too bad...

The PADI swim test is designed so eveyoine can pass it. No reason to worry.

Not really, I have had 3 students wash out because they could not do either the 200 swim, or the 300 MFS. So not EVERYONE passes, btw, SDI, SSI...same standards.

I disagree,

I should have been more clear. Standards do not require the instructor to test these two things back-to-back.

I understand that your personal conviction is that you should but standards don't require it.

I think the swim test should serve two purposes: it should show that you are comfortable in the water, and that you are in good enough condition that you have adequate energy reserve/stamina to deal with unexpected events.
My grandmother who is about 90 years old still swims on a regular basis and could do the 200 metre swim test and 10 min float easily. When we were kids she used to swim across the lake where we camped to "kill time" in the afternoon (maybe 3km or so round trip). Not that she's highly fit or anything. Quite the contrary. She's always been obese (since I've known her) but she worked as a lifeguard when she was young and has pretty good swimming technique.

So what I'm saying here is that if you *really* want to test cardio fitness, then you probably have to take technique out of the equation. Maybe putting them on an elliptical trainer would be better.

Another option is to teach people to listen to their bodies and dive within their limitations. That message gets repeated over and over again in the PADI open water course. PADI isn't interested in making diving inaccessible to people who aren't fit. They are, however, aware that this means that people have to be told to set the bar to match their abilities.

So that's their answer to this issue. We could think of all kinds of arbitrary swimming skills that divers need to learn but we first have to ask ourselves what do divers need to be able to *DO*?

R..

My grandmother who is about 90 years old still swims on a regular basis and could do the 200 metre swim test and 10 min float easily.

Yeah but if she was treading water and you asked her where she was, could she tell you?

+1. I was in pretty good cardio shape when I took OW, but the 200 yd swim just about did me in... I sink like you read about, and it's a lot of work for me just to stay on top of the water, much less move myself through it. We got a short break before treading water, so that wasn't too bad...

With a lot of work and many costly 100 mile round trips to the only pool, I can now do the 400 (meters) in 13 mins. or less. I always could swim. After i complete DM I just don't have the gas money to keep it up.

My grandmother who is about 90 years old still swims on a regular basis and could do the 200 metre swim test and 10 min float easily. When we were kids she used to swim across the lake where we camped to "kill time" in the afternoon (maybe 3km or so round trip). Not that she's highly fit or anything. Quite the contrary. She's always been obese (since I've known her) but she worked as a lifeguard when she was young and has pretty good swimming technique.

So what I'm saying here is that if you *really* want to test cardio fitness, then you probably have to take technique out of the equation. Maybe putting them on an elliptical trainer would be better.

Two excellent points highlighting the need to swim regularly to keep good technique and the needed muscles developed--IF you want to hop out of bed and knock off a 200 or 400 on the spot for a diving class.

idoc sterve: If you ditch your gear your wetsuit will let you float.. Want more?

Back
Top Bottom