PADI Take ownership of Bonnier Corporation’s dive media brands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure I like it that PADI is taking control of the media that potential divers are accessing, but really I shouldn't care, the courses I need they can't teach (crossover to XCCR that I've been diving for the last 2 years, crossover from cave to cave CCR, and cave scooter (unfortunately I got my cave card a year too late to be grandfathered into cave scooter at Ginnie, but have been diving my own scooters in caves since 2001).
Michael

Not sure I like it that PADI is taking control of the media that potential divers are accessing

You could look at it the opposite way, that this media currently exists mainly by paid sponsorship in the form of "independent" reviews

Sure you'll get a PADI view - but outside training they do run some good initiatives - Like without PADI, Project Aware wouldn't be able to do half they stuff they can currently do.

The Dive media is pretty shabby as it is - it can't get much worse under PADI

The Dive media is pretty shabby as it is - it can't get much worse under PADI
Dive Alert (from DAN) is excellent, and Dive Training is pretty good too. All the others are in tenth place or worse. ScubaLab (in Scuba Diving) is a nice try...but you can't help but wonder just how independent it really is, given all the advertising. The Reader's choices are a joke...one big self-perpetuating popularity contest driven by the larger places. A small but excellent resort or location has no chance.
Undercurrent is good, with a grain of salt. Lots of anonymous personal opinions and biases show through.

I think ScubaLab was much better during Jon Hardy's era... I don't put much faith in it today (but then I have all the gear I'll need for the rest of my life)

As I said on some chatboard or another, PADI (and DEMA) are petrified of social media, where folks can respond to their particular style of news, so they bought the only outlet they have for getting the word out, magazines, as no one can respond negatively to a magazine article, and if they do, the magazine doesn't have to respond back. Sadly, magazines are not well received by the only folks left on the planet that PADI and DEMA should be reaching out to, young people. When was the last time you saw a person under 30 read a magazine in a doctor's waiting room? They all play on their phones, the majority of them on instagram or Facebook.

. Sadly, magazines are not well received by the only folks left on the planet that PADI and DEMA should be reaching out to, young people. When was the last time you saw a person under 30 read a magazine in a doctor's waiting room? They all play on their phones, the majority of them on instagram or Facebook.
According to the article Bonnier Dive Media group, have 820,000 social media followers, alongside 540,000 unique monthly website visitors. I'd say that's a pretty good target audience

As I said on some chatboard or another, PADI (and DEMA) are petrified of social media, where folks can respond to their particular style of news,

With social media posts, you have little control over the Audience reaction to yoru posts, i.e. they can openly criticise.

Certainly PADI EMEA has a good grasp of social media, and is always posting. The limited small scale PADI public events organised here (due to the fact the need to bring staff over from the UK) are all targeted at the younger audience.

The trick as always to social media is to somehow generate an interest so your posts get shared to a wider audience, and you pick up more subscribers.

I've yet to find an online magazine that I'm willing to subscribe to and that has been designed for easy reading on both computers and mobile devices.

PADI have the choice to go with the pay wall model, but you need excellent content to entice people there, or suck up the costs of creating and publishing the content, to get it out to a wider audience.

I would guess rather than concentrating on tired old dive computer or fin reviews, they would be pushing environmental news and topics - which have a greater interest. From there you can draw people into using diving to explore

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom