PADI tech 50 no refill between dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know that people only have one set of doubles. If extra single tanks are available, it should be possible to fill those with the same gas as the doubles, then use a transfer whip to pump up the doubles. Just a thought. I’ve done this for recreational boat dives where I just like that cushion.

We were doing a tec45 class in Florida last year. The captain was actually surprised that we did not have two sets of doubles. We didn't know that was ok with him and left the second set in the truck. We had only planned one dive anyway so it was ok. Next time we will ask.

Last time we did a TEC trip on our boat we had two sets. It does introduce some logistical issues as we are normally only set up for singles. We plan on resolving that and the al40 problem as well.

On second thought, that's what sidemount is good for.

Last edited:
"I expressed some concern about this and she told me that they had worked out their minimum gas and so she was told it was okay"

What did she think? At this level; divers should be able to plan dives within the bounds of safety and good reasoning. The first thing I would have asked her, is was she OK with this, and why?

I am VERY conservative when it comes to training dives. If I am doing a deco dive I want full backgas, especially with a student in the water. Just too much to go wrong IMO.

I'd be curious to see what Jim Wyatt says about this if he is around. I cannot imagine on the profiles they run down in the Keys; that he would think two back-to-back deco dives on the same trip using the same backgas - even if they were short dives, was a good idea. I'm not sure of the surface interval involved here; but doing two deco dives (even short dives) in a short amount of time is just asking for trouble.

Personally, I would have done the 3rd dive on one trip and concentrated on making the most out of the training opportunity - then run the 4th dive later in the day, or even the next day.

I'll run sidemount classes doing partial fills; and even tec training dives. Not actual deco dives.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom