PADI to SSI crossover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CGADivebum

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a PADI MSDT. Of the few local shops the best in the area is SSI. I would like to start teaching again and to do so with them I would need to be an SSI instructor.. Can anyone advise the process to crossover from PADI to SSI and the associated cost? Also how does my MSDT translate into SSI instructor ratings?

Lastly what are the costs of membership and insurance with SSI?

The best thing to do is talk with the shop you want to work for.

What your required to do for a crossover will depend on if you are an active instructor now, or if not how long it has been since you where active and you prior teaching history/experience.
Your local shop can help arrange the crossover with their local rep.

As far as costs membership dues are a little less. Insurance depends on whether the shop has a group insurance policy or individual policy.

I'm certified in both. Here are some tidbits. With SSI you must be associated with a SSI shop (and thus no independent teaching as you can with PADI). As Skooter said above, talk to the shop owner as they wield significant leverage in deciding costs. Generally though you can work a deal of about half the normal instructor package costs. You'll have to buy all the SSI books, slates, etc (similar costs to PADI). Your PADI instructor knowledge will make it very easy to get through the cert program. Expect similar skills requirements and knowledge requirements. Basically you will sit through the entire SSI instructor class with other candidates. It is very similar to PADI in format. Note, not all SSI shops have an instructor training program. You are not obligated to stay with a particular shop that you do the training with. For insurance, I use iMS. They allow for loss payee to both organizations (I'm assuming you want to stay certified with both agencies). You may have to foot the bill yourself though as the SSI shop is not going to want to pay for the extra cost of both orgs on the insurance. My current yearly bill is $515 (which is not much more than typical PADI instructor liability). You will need to discuss your dual relationship with the SSI shop as the manager may be concerned about conflict of interest (you stealing students for your private PADI teaching). Be aware there is a difference between SSI AOW and PADI AOW. SSI doesn't have a tight relationship with a CPR/FA training org so you'll want to keep current on whatever you have now. As always look for a shop with a pool on premise as it makes the logistics much easier. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks to both of you for the information. I will have to get with my the local SSI store and try to coordinate something. Hopefully I can work something out and maintain my affiliation with PADI as well.
Thanks again,

I can base off of what I've seen from my shop (SSI). We have an IT/IC on staff. As the others mentioned, you will need to sit through either an instructor training course or a crossover program. You will need to demonstrate all the basic skills. Not absolutely sure on the costs, some of it would depend on the IT/IC. Our shop has an umbrella insurance policy that covers all instructors & Dive Cons. The instructors split the costs & the Dive Cons pay nothing (since they assist us). It costs us about $250 for insurance. As for your rank in SSI, a PADI MSDT, by ISO standards, would correspond to SSI's Adv. Open Water Instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom