PADI v NAUI Master Scuba Diver Rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cr.padlo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am about to start my AAUS Scientific diver course through my university (Texas A&M). I was looking at the course description and noticed that it also included NAUI Master Scuba Diver rating in addition to the scientific diver certification. What are some of the differences between PADI and NAUI master scuba diver? Thanks and Gig Em!

For NAUI the Master Scuba Diver is a course onto itself. It requires at least 8 dives. There are variety of dives one must do. Some of the dives are mandatory such as navigation, deep with simulated deco, night/low viz, and search & recovery. The remaining dives are your choice, depending on what the instructor/dive operator can offer. There is a 100 question written test that will cover physics and physiology. NAUI considers this course a follow on to the Advanced Scuba Diver Course. The NAUI Master Scuba Diver fits well with scientific diver programs.

For PADI all that is required for the Master Scuba Diver Program are five specialty certifications. One of the specialties can be a non-dive cert, such as Nitrox/Enriched air or Emergency O2, the rest must be actual diving certifications. One must have at least 50 dives before applying for the certification. There is no written exam. In some ways this cert is an award for achieving five specialty ratings and completing 50 dives.

@shurite7 Thank you! It sounds like the NAUI master scuba diver is similar to the PADI divemaster...can you tell me how those compare? TIA!!

As I understand it (in simplistic terms explained here elsewhere here), NAUI MSD is essentially the DM course without he requirement of having "demonstrational level skills", and without the "dive shop" side..

NAUI Master diver was designed as everything NAUI felt their diver leaders, AI/DM/Instructor, should know that did not involve actual leading or teaching. So all the physics, physiology, water and rescue skills. There are some small differences now, but according to Thalassamania, who apparently designed the class, that was the original intent. I'm currently a NAUI DM candidate so fairly familiar with NAUI. I do not know the Padi DM requirements.

Let's talk about how the NAUI courses were intended to plug together. NAUI Master Diver's the top non-leadership course. It was designed (by me, BTW) to create a diver that had all the knowledge and skills expected of any NAUI leadership rating, less the leadership stuff. In fact, it (or equivalent) was designed to be a prerequisite for all NAUI leadership courses and thus provide a place where all the requisite knowledge and skills could be offered to divers. After Master Diver one could go one of three ways, AI, DM or Instructor Prep.
That quote is from an old "NAUI master diver vs DM" thread that may help. Naui master diver vs divemaster water skills?

Last edited:
you guys are right the naui course is knowledge and ability of ai or dm without the teaching ability OR the liability ....

@shurite7 Thank you! It sounds like the NAUI master scuba diver is similar to the PADI divemaster...can you tell me how those compare? TIA!!

Comparing the NAUI Master Scuba Diver (MSD) to PADI's Divemaster is quite the stretch. A long stretch.

NAUI's MSD is a prerequisite course to NAUI's Dive Master program. Another way of saying it, is NAUI expects their DM candidates to already have the in-depth knowledge of various diving topics (physics, physiology, decompression theory, etc) before starting the DM course. PADI DM candidates will gain that knowledge during their DM course via The Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving, which I highly recommend reading.

As I understand it (in simplistic terms explained here elsewhere here), NAUI MSD is essentially the DM course without he requirement of having "demonstrational level skills", and without the "dive shop" side..

This is way too simplistic. When I went through my NAUI ITC the Instructor Trainer and the Course Director explained to me they considered the MSD as the AOW course stepped up a notch or two. Which means it can't compare to any DM course (PADI or NAUI), and quite correctly no "demonstrational levels skills" are required.

The MSD course is a good way to focus on the diving knowledge that any active diver should understand. Alex Brylske, author of The Complete Diver, and too a degree Alec Pierce, youtuber "Alec Pierce Scuba", have griped that too many divers today lack this knowledge which used to be taught to new divers back in the day.

I took the NAUI Master Dive Course and the Padi Dive Master Course. The Naui course in regards to knowledge is very similar but there is no teaching involved. As part of of NAUI course i did have to lead some dives for students under my instructor. The good thing about the NAUI course is you dont have liability insurance requirements but you have most of the knowledge of a DM. The Padi course is pretty much just a card after you get your specialties.

So I am looking in my Naui Master Diver Course and there are 12 chapters 270 pages to the book. The book does recap some of the areas of advanced but also goes in depth into diving physics with formulas etc. For the final exam you will be able to apply the fomulas on the exam including lift bag calculations. There is a lot of knowledge in the course.

I've both taken and taught the NAUI Master Diver class. It's a fine class ... in fact, I think it's the best class NAUI offers at the recreational level. But while the lift bag calculations offer some interesting exercises, I could never understand their practical use. Over the years I've been involved in using both bags and barrels for moving heavy objects underwater ... a few years back I spent a whole winter building a small rock reef at one of our local sites ... and I've never once performed any calculations. In the real world, you just keep adding air until the object you want to move floats off the bottom. The real fun begins when you have to manage it as you change depths ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom