PADI vs NAUI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Upon telling a relative that I just got certified by PADI, they told me that NAUI was better. I'm just wondering if anyone can fill me in on the differences.

Thanks.
The real difference is that I am a PADI Instructor, not a NAUI instructor, so clearly PADI is the best agency in the world, right?:joke:

There are differences in small areas of course syllabus, materials, books, tables and so on. At this stage in your education, if you find a good instructor who teachs well, doesn't just do the bare minimum, makes it fun and pushes out your envelope and motivates you, then it doesn't matter which of the two agencies you are with.

OTOH, if you ever want to work ( :shakehead: )in the business, you may have to take into consideration which agency is more recognised and can bring you students in the geographical area you want to work in.

Here is some simple math to settle the agency debate

PADI = NAUI = SSI = PDIC = YMCA = _____ Fill in the blank. They all follow RSTC standards and generally speaking the academics and skills you learn will be the same. Breath in - Breath out, go up and down, clear regs and mask, inflate and remove/replace BCD's and weights... etc...

Here is the math you need to consider

Does Instructor A = B = C = D?

The answer is not always the same. The agency does not matter nearly as much as the Instructor... and to some degree the dive shop they teach for. The dive shop can be a factor because they may or may not hold Instructors to high teaching standards, gear used for classes may not be in good repair etc...

Yes this topic gets debated over and over in threads. Why doesn't someone on SB put a permanent thread at the top of the page to thwart the need for constant reiteration.
Statring with, "They all follow RSTC standards," (which is not so) you display a woeful lack of knowledge concerning training agencies and should, as a result of that demonstrated ignorance, stop spreading inaccurate information.

Starting with, "They all follow RSTC standards," (which is not so) you display a woeful lack of knowledge concerning training agencies and should, as a result of that demonstrated ignorance, stop spreading inaccurate information.
Quite. :wink:

offthewall1:
PADI = NAUI = SSI = PDIC = YMCA = _____ Fill in the blank. They all follow RSTC standards and generally speaking the academics and skills you learn will be the same.

You have obviously never read the standards of those agencies, they are as alike as Karl and Groucho Marx.

You have obviously never read the standards of those agencies, they are as alike as Karl and Groucho Marx.
Opium is the mass of the religion?:D

Je suis Marxiste, tendance Groucho.

Here is some simple math to settle the agency debate

PADI = NAUI = SSI = PDIC = YMCA = _____ Fill in the blank. They all follow RSTC standards and generally speaking the academics and skills you learn will be the same. Breath in - Breath out, go up and down, clear regs and mask, inflate and remove/replace BCD's and weights... etc...
As others have already pointed out ... this is not accurate. Although NAUI was one of the original members of the RSTC, they have not been a member for quite some time ... and do not "follow RSTC standards".

Also, you need to understand what "RSTC standards" means ... it's touted as a set of standards that all members must follow, but in reality it's nothing more than a "least common denominator" of the standards that have been independently adopted by each of the member training agencies. In other words, those standards were "reverse engineered" to conform to what already existed. In that respect, they are so low as to be meaningless.

Here is the math you need to consider

Does Instructor A = B = C = D?

The answer is not always the same. The agency does not matter nearly as much as the Instructor... and to some degree the dive shop they teach for. The dive shop can be a factor because they may or may not hold Instructors to high teaching standards, gear used for classes may not be in good repair etc...

Yes this topic gets debated over and over in threads. Why doesn't someone on SB put a permanent thread at the top of the page to thwart the need for constant reiteration.
To a degree, yes ... the instructor makes more of a difference than the agency. But there's an equally important part of this equation you missed ... the student.

There are some very real differences in how the same topics get presented. PADI tends to focus on the "mechanics" of diving ... the "how to". NAUI tends to focus on the "physics" of diving ... the "why". Ask a PADI instructor about buoyancy control and they will most likely focus on the manipulation of air spaces in your BCD or drysuit. Ask a NAUI instructor the same question and they'll start the conversation with a description of Boyle's Law. Which is better? ... depends on how the student best understands the concepts.

PADI's class is very structured ... and for the most part you MUST teach things in a certain sequence and a certain way. NAUI's class is less structured ... and as long as the instructor covers all the required subject matter they are free to structure the class as they see fit, and add or enhance on topics they feel are important to their local diving environment. To a degree, PADI instructors can do that as well ... but they are not allowed to pass or fail the student based on that additional material. PADI says if the student successfully completes the required material, you MUST pass them. NAUI says that the instructor can (and should) use their judgment, based on a subjective "loved one" standard. Which is better? ... depends on the student, more than on the instructor.

Both approaches have advantages and disadvantages. But it's not just the agency ... and it's not just the instructor ... it's also the person taking the class. Some people are very "hands-on" ... if they can see it and feel it, they understand it best. Other people are very "intellectual" ... if they can understand the theory behind it, they understand it best. Which approach works best for you depends on ... you.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have read the manuals of each of these agencies and have them in my store for anyone who would like to read them. We have instructors or know (are friends with) instructors from each of the agencies mentioned and even many of the ones not mentioned - and they all teach the same basic skills and follow the same standards. Of course there are some slight differences. One may teach buddy breathing - while another teaches air sharing... some may teach both... but the bottom line is they are all teaching an out of air emergency skill.

Not being RSTC members does not mean they don't teach RSTC standards. They may not subscribe to the RSTC, but they all teach the same basic things. Some may teach above and beyond the basic things... but they all teach the same basic skills. If they didn't, they'd be missing something important for new students to learn.

Some teach bailouts... some don't... but they all teach mask clearing, regulator clearing etc...

Which of the noted agencies doens't teach the basic skills? I want to know so I can spread the word they are dangerous. If you want to make the point that some go above and beyond RSTC standards - which are admittedly a bare minimum... I'd agree whole heartedly.

Statring with, "They all follow RSTC standards," (which is not so) you display a woeful lack of knowledge concerning training agencies and should, as a result of that demonstrated ignorance, stop spreading inaccurate information.

Given that I'm an Instructor for three agencies (SDI, SSI and PSAI and about to be for a fourth (PADI) , own and have read the manuals of NAUI and PDIC I'd have to ask you where your supreme intelligence comes from.

No not all agencies are RSTC members... but they all seem to somehow miraculously live up to the minimum RSTC standards. If they were not meeting these standards, they would not be teaching safe scuba... so tell me which agency doesn't teach the bare minimum skills of diving prescribed by the RSTC?

offthewall1:
I have read the manuals of each of these agencies and have them in my store for anyone who would like to read them.

I apologize, based on your statement, I didn't think you'd read them. I stand corrected.

offthewall1:
We have instructors or know (are friends with) instructors from each of the agencies mentioned and even many of the ones not mentioned - and they all teach the same basic skills and follow the same standards.

If an instructor from SEI (YMCA no longer exists as a certification agency) is following the same standards as a PADI Instructor, one of them is violating standards.

offthewall1:
Not being RSTC members does not mean they don't teach RSTC standards. They may not subscribe to the RSTC, but they all teach the same basic things. Some may teach above and beyond the basic things... but they all teach the same basic skills. If they didn't, they'd be missing something important for new students to learn.

NAUI does not require either a 200 yd swim or a 300 yd snorkel as part of their swim test, they require 15 stroke cycles. That does not meet RSTC minimum standards, although it is better than the 300 yd option allowed by the RSTC.

offthewall1:
Some teach bailouts... some don't... but they all teach mask clearing, regulator clearing etc...

Look at that, major differences, not only did you read them, you understood them as well. Why you say they were the same, when you knew better?

offthewall1:
Which of the noted agencies doens't teach the basic skills?.

I suspect our concepts of which skills are basic are not the same. IMO, PADI and SSI don't teach all the basic skills, NAUI comes a tad closer, but still falls short. I'm not familiar with PDIC standards, so I offer no opinion about them.

offthewall1:
they all seem to somehow miraculously live up to the minimum RSTC standards. If they were not meeting these standards, they would not be teaching safe scuba

You can meet RSTC standards and not teach safe SCUBA.

Given that I'm an Instructor for three agencies (SDI, SSI and PSAI and about to be for a fourth (PADI) , own and have read the manuals of NAUI and PDIC I'd have to ask you where your supreme intelligence comes from.
Perhaps you should stop before you dig yourself any deeper. You read 'em, I wrote 'em.:D

Oh yes, I also helped write the original ANSI standards and during the recent round quit the ANSI process is disgust at what was being done. Funny thing though ... I don't remember seeing you at the table.
Given that I'm an Instructor for three agencies
Wow, I'm really impressed.
No not all agencies are RSTC members... but they all seem to somehow miraculously live up to the minimum RSTC standards.
Of course they all meet RSTC standards. Those standards are naught but the lowest common denominator of all the agencies, so low that just about anything could match them. The RSTC standards are not required for anything ... but then you'd know that if you had, in fact, read a small fraction of what you claim to have. But then if you bothered to read the threads about why NAUI declined RSTC membership you'd know all that.
If they were not meeting these standards, they would not be teaching safe scuba... so tell me which agency doesn't teach the bare minimum skills of diving prescribed by the RSTC?
Your logic is badly flawed. Meeting RSTC standards does not make for teaching safe scuba, they are quite rudimentary and inadequate.

Back
Top Bottom