PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacq:)

New
Reaction score
Hi!
my parents are taking their first steps into scuba this weekend (i am too but we are in different places) and their class is SDI cert. Mine is PADI which i've always heard is the most reputable. Can you give me and feedback of the pros/cons of SDI?
Thanks!
Jacq

I prefer SDI, i think in some respects, PADI, can be a bit antiquated, and a little bit market driven, in the way they offer classes. But that's just an opinion, and i'm sure i'll get flamed for it. That's not to say PADI is bad, i just prefer the way SDI does things. Everybody has there on reasons, and i don't think any agency is bad, just different ways of doing things.

Hi!
my parents are taking their first steps into scuba this weekend (i am too but we are in different places) and their class is SDI cert. Mine is PADI which i've always heard is the most reputable. Can you give me and feedback of the pros/cons of SDI?
Thanks!
Jacq

It is said here a lot and it's mostly true: There can be more difference between two instructors in the same agency than between agencies. scuba instruction is very much standardized and the differences are more a matter of style and opinion. No matter the agany SDI, PADI or NAUI that first certification card is really just a "learner's permit" where they teach "just enough" to let you get started. PADI is the llargest agency but don't judge quality by size.

The instructor will be much more important than the agency. If you spend time deciding where to get certified rather than just going to the closest/cheapest shop, spend the time getting references on the actual insturctor and interview him rather than figuring out which acronym is best.

For most rec divers, the agency is somebody in the back room making C cards and publishing a handbook (and lame films in PADI's case) . Although the major agencies do set standards, they are similar. They are also poorly enforced amoung the major US agencies. This places the major responsibility on the instructor.

I agree that the instructor is the linchpin to fun safe diving in any organization! As far as agencies it only matters of policies! Computer Vs Tables and you will learn what that is soon! All this said the only reason for a C-card is release of liability to the air provider! If you put a rig together and dive off most beaches or a boat you don't need anything except your head examined! A card gets you air! Thats all! To become a diver you have to dive! Diving makes you a diver a card gets you air!

Hi!
Thanks!
Jacq

SDI is currently the cutting edge.

Whereas PADI is the bare bones minimum.

Note that I am associated with neither, but even so, this would be an easy choice for me.

My personal recommendation would be NAUI, however since their program is too hard for many people, then SDI is a good choice as well, since SDI is much simpler than NAUI.

I thought we settled this once and for all last week.

Hi!
Thanks!
Jacq

Deserved or not, PADI's reputation as a training agency is not all that good. There are serious questions about the quality of their standards. I've never read SDI's standards, so I don't know how they compare.

If you are interested in finding the best class available for yourself and your parents, you can do so by asking a few questions.

There are fewer people who flame PADI on Scubaboard, than I have fingers on my hand. With that being said, the rules that each agency has need to be seriously looked at from time to time. As the world gets smaller, communication wise, more people seem to be having parallel thinking.

SDI doesn't require that you learn the dive tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom