PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since checking accounts have been around for quite some time, perhaps you can explain why most people still use the ledger to balance their account. Why are they learning basic accounting, when they can just trust a computer?

BTW, water cooling on PCs will void a warranty if not factory installed. Even then, it's typically not a component mfr. warranty. They can and do leak.

Wait a person admitting that a manufacturer actually installs a water component into an electronic component. Yes and I am sure a big business like microsoft or dell or Verizon use ledgers to balance their checking accounts too. I don't use a ledger to balance my account, it is downloaded into my quickbooks and done that way. It truely is amazing huh? No one is going to win the conversation that technology does not change what we do...i think the biggest thing that has me laughing EVERY TIME i post, is you all are posting using that glowing screen in front of you called a C-O-M-P-U-T-E-R. Its amazing to think thats how we are all talking, I mean really we should all be meeting at the Town Square and hand writing message back and forth and posting those message on the cork Bulletin Board.

Sheesh...

Tables are not superiour to computers, by any means. However, tables are not expensive, like computers, they are waterproof, unlike the inside of a computer, they should withstand some serious abuse temperature and handling wise, unlike many computers, and they don't require batteries. There are as many advantages to tables as there are to computers.

Does that mean people should leave the computer home, and dive tables instead? Nope, but they should learn in class, and should practice from time to time, because one day you may need to switch to tables to continue your trip. Maybe its to figure out your pressure group to program a new computer, or just to use them period.

I don't have a backup computer. But I do have tables in my logbook, they go on every dive with me, just in case I need them.

If you don't want to learn how to use them fine. It is your loss. But please don't put down an agency that teaches them, and don't put me down for knowing how to use them and choosing to do so on occasion...

The Original subject of this thread was PADI vs. SDI

To the point:

Do the agency standards require the teaching of dive tables?

PADI - No, The instructor has the option of either teaching the use of PADI tables (RDP) or the use of a special purpose hand calculator (eRDP) for dive planning.

SDI - No, The instructor must teach the use of a dive computer for dive planning, execution and post-dive record keeping (logging).

May the instructor teach dive tables?

PADI - Yes. PADI tables are in the student manual.

SDI - Yes. US Navy tables are in the student manual.

May the instructor require the student to demonstrate the ability to use dive tables as a condition of certification?

PADI - Yes
SDI - Yes

Does the agency require the teaching of the use of dive computers?

PADI - No
SDI - Yes

May the instructor teach the use of dive computers?

PADI - Yes, but there is no outline for such teaching in the student manual or in the instructor manual.
SDI - Yes, it is part of the course outline.

May the instructor require the student to demonstrate proficiency in the use of a dive computer as part of the requirements for certification?

PADI - No.
SDI - Yes, in fact, it is a standard.

Do the agency standards require the teaching of dive tables?

PADI - No, The instructor has the option of either teaching the use of PADI tables (RDP) or the use of a special purpose hand calculator (eRDP) for dive planning.

In my oppinion this is wrong. The eRDP is a table. It does nothing more than a table does except for do the math for you.

And in reference to the whole computer vs table thing...kids going through school these days use things called calculators not the SLIDE RULE, they used to use...so perhaps there is the possibility that technology is good and that something does not have to be taught, PERIOD. I don't know anyone that teaches someone how to use a slide rule before they are taught to use a calculator...

And I teach PADI, so don't suggest that I am bashing an agency that teaches tables...I am just smart enough to know that they are slowly fading away...

Frankly I think kids should still learn their times tables in grade school as well as using the calculator. You need to have an idea what to expect as an answer or you will have no idea if you pushed the wrong button and therefore have the wrong answer. I think knowing tables helps you visualize what the answer should be.

Kids going to school as well as calculators still have to be taught and understand mental arithmetic....

Stimpy...On your points I agree with you. The tables actually don't reveal the "math" behind them anyway. As I was going over them with my son (because the SDI book doesn't really cover them), he asked what the formulas or patterns were for the times vs depths (this from a 12 year old). My only answer was that these values just came from research and there is no specific mathematical formula that he could use at this level of knowledge to re-create his own table. So in that case, the eRDP is nothing more than a table without moving your finger between rows and columns.

As we are going through this stuff, I want him to learn to use a dive computer, but also to know what the heck conceptually the computer is telling him. The same with a calculator vs mental math...I'd want them to be able to do it "long-hand" but once they understand the concept, why NOT use a calculator, other than the fact that mental math actually gives them focus and sharpens their brains. In the case of reading a table, it doesn't.

divebunny13:
What agency has the bailout as a skill?

YMCA

Scubakevdm:
PADI has never prevented me from teaching my students how to dive very, very well.

Of course not. OTOH, it would be nice if following their standards required you to teach them to dive fairly well.

Back
Top Bottom