Padi VS SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter, I've seen your tagline for a while now and simply don't get your point.

Are you seriously trying to say that ALL instructors from certain agencies (read YMCA / SEI) are guaranteed to be "good" and that ALL instructors from the other agencies are somehow not any good?

How can anyone with your reported experience in the dive industry make such a claim? As a current Instructor with PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI and SSI I can honestly tell you that I have seen great instructors affiliated with each of them and others that have left me with some questions.

However, one thing I can say for certain is that the quality of ANY dive course at ANY level comes down to the individual instructor that teaches it, period. I've never met anyone in this business who would argue that point, until now.

I also find it hard to take any advice seriously from a person (instructor or otherwise) who has nearly 5 times as many posts on this forum as they have actual dives. To me that says a great deal about how much they prefer to talk about diving rather than to actually get out and do it.

WetDawg:
Are you seriously trying to say that ALL instructors from certain agencies (read YMCA / SEI) are guaranteed to be "good" and that ALL instructors from the other agencies are somehow not any good?

I'm not saying that now nor have I ever said or implied it.

WetDawg:
How can anyone with your reported experience in the dive industry make such a claim?

I don't know. I've never heard anyone make such a claim.

WetDawg:
As a current Instructor with PADI, NAUI, SDI, TDI and SSI I can honestly tell you that I have seen great instructors affiliated with each of them and others that have left me with some questions.

No surprise there.

WetDawg:
One thing I can say for certain is that the quality of ANY dive course at ANY level comes down to the individual instructor that teaches it, period.

It can, I've seen it, but it's pretty rare. Almost all the instructors I've observed teach exactly they way they were taught to teach in their instructor class and they follow their agency's standards to the letter. From time to time, I see instructors cutting corners and from time to time, I see instructors adding value to their class above and beyond the standards of their agency. Neither is common.

WetDawg:
I also find it hard to take any advice seriously from a person (instructor or otherwise) who has nearly 5 times as many posts on this forum as they have actual dives.

Yep, I don't actually get out and dive. I'm a poser. I only make about 100 - 130 dives per year and I post at least 5 times that amount in a year. If that makes me a cyber diver in your eyes, so be it. I really don't care. Besides, the post you're referencing isn't offering any advice.

I also find it hard to take any advice seriously from a person (instructor or otherwise) who has nearly 5 times as many posts on this forum as they have actual dives. To me that says a great deal about how much they prefer to talk about diving rather than to actually get out and do it.

It isn't really that hard. If you can only dive on the weekends than the number of days you can post to the number of days you can dive is at least 5:2. Posting can take anyone from 10 seconds to 30 minutes (depending on the post) with the average probably somewhere in the <2 minutes area. A dive is going to be what 30 mins to 2 hours. Lets say the average is an hour (numbers pulled out of arse). So in an average dive time I could probably post 20-30 times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom