PADI was a member of the CMAS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly are you asking? Agencies are not members of CMAS. CMAS authorizes certain bodies or organizations to issue CMAS certs. Some do so as CMAS. In the US only SEI is currently authorized to issue CMAS certs through the Underwater Society of America which is a CMAS affiliate. Formerly the YMCA issued CMAS certs in the US.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I don't think it ever was.

Wikipedia
Professional Association of Diving Instructors (PADI) is the world's largest recreational diving membership and diver training organization founded in 1966 by John Cronin and Ralph Erickson. Cronin was originally a NAUI instructor who decided to form his own organization with Erickson, and to break diver training down into different courses instead of the single universal course then prevalent.

What exactly are you asking? Agencies are not members of CMAS. CMAS authorizes certain bodies or organizations to issue CMAS certs. Some do so as CMAS. In the US only SEI is currently authorized to issue CMAS certs through the Underwater Society of America which is a CMAS affiliate. Formerly the YMCA issued CMAS certs in the US.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Maybe, you've heard about the British agency BSAC which was an founder member of CMAS, but in 1997 BSAC was expelled by CMAS. Has PADI the same story?

Maybe, you've heard about the British agency BSAC which was an founder member of CMAS, but in 1997 BSAC was expelled by CMAS. . . .

There's a story there. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What have you confirmed? The article you cite, which is noted as needing work to meet Wikipedia's standards, does not say anything like that.

It also says this:

Governance

The first nine sports listed above [Note: This includes scuba] are governed by CMAS, as is aquathlon (underwater wrestling). Freediving is also governed by
AIDA International. Sub-aqua diving has various other international agencies controlling it, including the Professional Association of Diving Instructors and the British Sub-Aqua Club, amongst others.

The vague implication that CMAS governs scuba diving world wide is simply incorrect.

There's a story there. Right?
see: http://www.divernetxtra.com/safety/cmas598.htm
for the citation in Wikipedia

Also, when researching scuba agencies worldwide several years ago, I downloaded the CMAS database of federations. PADI was not among them. Might they have been a member earlier? Perhaps, but I'd rather see confirmation before believing it.

see: http://www.divernetxtra.com/safety/cmas598.htm
for the citation in Wikipedia

Also, when researching scuba agencies worldwide several years ago, I downloaded the CMAS database of federations. PADI was not among them. Might they have been a member earlier? Perhaps, but I'd rather see confirmation before believing it.

Thanks. That link was helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see how they could have been. Even a CMAS one star diver gets rescue skills and emergency deco planning.

As for this statement " Sub-aqua diving has various other international agencies controlling it, including the Professional Association of Diving Instructors and the British Sub-Aqua Club, amongst others."

I'd call bull crap on all of it. No one governs scuba and none of them control it. Agencies issue certifications supposedly based on standards set by the WRSTC and other bodies depending on country. I'm guessing the author of the article doesn't have English as a first language and also has little personal experience. Looks like they cobbled together some stuff and attempted to put it together. But you do not need a cert to dive nor permission from anyone except in some of those weird countries where other freedoms are also limited.

Here is the article referenced in item 9 on the wiki page

So long, CMAS

Seems to boil down to a pissing contest between the French and the British. Surprise there as they have only been having one for a few hundred years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom