Pain after my 2nd class in pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duncle77

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello. First time posting. Wish it were under better circumstances. TIA for your help.

I am not yet certified. I just dove my 2nd pool dive yesterday for class (1st one the day before). We were in the pool today for about 2.5 hours, maybe a little more. We did some instruction and drills at surface of pool, others as deep as 9 feet. I've got what feels like gas pain (like when i was constipated, sorry if tmi) in the top of my shoulders towards my neck that's pretty uncomfortable, and i'm belchy. There's not really much reason (like my recent diet) for me to be belchy), and I'm not constipated now. The pain was uncomfy enough to wake me up after a couple hours of sleep.

The pain slowly builds and dissipates. It's a dull ache. I feel like when i take deep breaths, there's a bit of latency but then it starts hurting a little worse.

I'm thinking maybe i overdrew air a time or two? Maybe when i was trying to maintain neutral buoyancy i overdrew. Any other ideas of what might be going on?

And what to do now (at the moment of writing, i'm on hold to speak with a nurse over the phone with my health provider)?

I am hoping you did not “Breathe hold” in the pool, even a few feet, or anything like that, although i am sure the symptoms would have been more obvious, so assuming just gas.
Since I am a walking Whoopi cushion, this would be my area of expertise. Besides diet, construction in the midriff can give gas pain, as gas can’t move along normally and builds up to uncomfortable amounts, and pain can slow the normal movement of intestines. What helps is getting yourself upside down for a few minutes, guts go towards floor, forcing air towards exit. Hope this puts an “end” to your discomfort.
For next Dive, you may want to consider if your kit is constricting your middle.

Update after talking to nurse over the phone last night (~1:30 a.m.): recommended antacid, ice, and ibuprofen. Did that and started feeling much better. She said to schedule an appointment with my doctor just in case, so I did.

Woke up still feeling better.

Called DAN before going to the doctor, and they didn't think it was scuba-related.

Neither did the doctor. He thought it was a trapezius strain (maybe from carried the cylinders from the pool to the truck), and to let him know if it comes back this week.

I'm still feeling fine now.

Thanks everyone for the help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom