Pain in the..........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AevnsGrandpa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ear!

A question to Dr. Deco or others who might have an idea for me.

I dive normally around 10 times a year and 99% of the time in lakes or quarries. Started diving in 2003.

I have noticed toward the end of last year and my first dive this year that toward the 2nd and maybe third dive of the day my right ear starts hurting quite a bit. I know that is vague, but I'll explain a little further.

I always try to equalize often on the way down and at the end of last year I found I can equalize ok without pinching my nose but just by moving my jam like when I yawn. This has helped my alot in that I always 'pushed' too hard when equalizing by holding my nose.

The pain is a dull ache in the ear, not on the outside. Not sharp, but constant. I do have TMJ and try not to bit too hard on my reg. After a full day of diving, a couple in the morning and 1 or 2 more in the afternoon, the pain it fairly steady and lasts for the better part of 3-4 hours after the dives.

I don't know if I am fighting an inner ear problem or something that has to do with my jaw. Any ideas as to what I can try or do to either relieve the pain or at least find out what is causing it, ear or jaw??

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff,

How cold is the water? If the water is really cold, I will get pain and "cold headaches" if I'm not protecting my head properly.

Of course, I am not a doctor and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The water was around 48-50 degrees. I had my full 5-4-3 west suit, 3mm hood and gloves and boots.

Yes the shock of the cold water on my exposed face was what kicked off the headache. Never had that happen before though!

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom