Paintball tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously? And edited to add my wife's comment " And the winner of the 2017 Darwin award is........"

Is it possible or has any one seen or used a paintball tank as a pony tank thanks
Assuming it's a legit 1st post question...

It's a really bad idea. Paintball cylinders are not designed for underwater usage. I've seen lots of corrosion in them not to mention many have CO2 in them. I'd not be surprised to find oil in them either.

As someone that was in the "paintball industry" for a few years, I would agree 100% with @Jack Hammer. Paintball tanks are nasty and if you happen to have one laying around, you come out better selling it and just getting yourself a pony tank. I think @Wookie is even selling some kind of little 6cf pony tank for $50 I think. I will have to look for his listing.

Someone once gave my son two AL80s that had been in paintball service. We had the LDS clean them and their valves at the time. They told me (and I believe them) they had never, ever seen tanks as dirty, and that it took forever to tumble and clean them.

I'm guessing the OP is asking about 4500psi carbon fiber tanks. The ones I've seen are too small to be of much use as a pony bottle. 90ci is the biggest I'm aware of. That's .62 cf or 30 seconds at 30 fsw. The valves will not work with SCUBA first stages, you would need to figure that out. I don't see why you would look to do this.

In the midst of the voices of reason here's a homebuilder. There are DIY projects online doing exactly what you are interested in. With proper preparation it can be done. However, if you need to ask if it's possible, it's likely you don't yet have the knowledge or skills required to do it safety.

Better sell the paintball tanks and buy a used pony.

Regards,
Cameron

If a Spare Air is like wearing a seatbelt in a plane crash... this is like tying that seatbelt out of pocket lint... And I've built two motorcycles and do all of the work on my Jeeps and house, so this has nothing to do with a fear of diy. It's just not a good idea.

If a Spare Air is like wearing a seatbelt in a plane crash... this is like tying that seatbelt out of pocket lint... And I've built two motorcycles and do all of the work on my Jeeps and house, so this has nothing to do with a fear of diy. It's just not a good idea.

I think the original poster is simply trolling (first post and member since 2013) however. A couple notes though. A 80ci paintball (atmospheric volume, like tanks measured in L) cylinder when filled to 3000psi is around 10cf. A tiny little tank, but 3x bigger than the spare air.

Borrowed from another forum here's one of the modified valve and carbon wrapped cylinders being used:

Attachments

• Paintball3.jpg
    Paintball3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 133
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom