Painting a SS backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So can a bead blasted BP be polished like the one in your picture?

you can still get mirror shine , but you will still have grained surface

to avoid grained surface you have to smooth surface first with sandpaper disk high grade and then electropolish it and then passivate it.

.....as i looked National Geographic ,like the Jersey shore or Hawaii, is in these waters a high concentration of free iron dissolved in water

or deposited on shore (volcanic activities or geologic
feature) and can cause corrosion on not well treated BP.

You can have a plate powder coated if you want, I am not sure of the cost.

At $99, I do not consider that plate to be low priced. There are better deals out their if you look around.

There are several grades of stainless steel. Stainless 304 will certainly rust over time. Stainless 316 is a better grade and is more resistant to rust. All stainless plate looks dull from the mill as it has what is called Mil-scale. bead blasting and polishing gives you that mirror shine.

You can have a plate powder coated if you want, I am not sure of the cost.

At $99, I do not consider that plate to be low priced. There are better deals out their if you look around.

If you have steel powder coated after it's already started showing signs of rust, will that continue underneath the powder coat?

I would say don't worry about it at all. I have seen this kind of rush in my DiveRite SS plate, I would say it is more like discoloration (after washing off the intial rush) than rush.

If you really want a plate with perfect mirror finish, Halcyon or Scubapro (also made by Halcyon IIRC) are the one. You can get Scubapro version from Amazon for $145.
Amazon.com : Scubapro X-Tek Stainless Steel Backplate : Diving Buoyancy Compensators : Sports & Outdoors

If you have steel powder coated after it's already started showing signs of rust, will that continue underneath the powder coat?

I have no idea. I would assume you would strip the plate of rust first before powder coating. I would talk to the powder coater first to see what he recommends. I looked into it once on a plate and it wasn't too expensive if you are using a color the coater is using for someone else.

Tech Dive Limited in Arizona sells powder coated plates.

I have used one plate with powder coat. At least with that experience, powder coat isn't tough at all. It tent to chip off at the edge and corner easily. For SS plate, I would just use RAW plate. For AL, I think hard anodized is much tougher than powder coat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom