Pair of Gunnels or a juvenile Wolf Eel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I see gunnels all the time, but the head on the orange one threw me off. Not the normal oval shape.
I could easily be wrong. I'm going more by the way they are together in there. Color is right for a wolf eel.

Def an odd pairing no matter what they are.
Actually, that is pretty common for gunnels. They are very communal.

Juvenile wolfeels on the other hand are pretty exclusively solo.

gunnels.jpg

Juvenile wolfeels on the other hand are pretty exclusively solo.

View attachment 807834
Yes, that is why I thought gunnel. I have seen pictures on NW Dive Club of LOTS of gunnels lined up side by side. @Boarderguy Have you looked at the NW Dive Club site? Jan Kocian's pictures are amazing.

Yes, that is why I thought gunnel. I have seen pictures on NW Dive Club of LOTS of gunnels lined up side by side. @Boarderguy Have you looked at the NW Dive Club site? Jan Kocian's pictures are amazing.
I'm on there under the same name. Jan has some really cool pics and an amazing back story.

That's really cool to see. Three differing colors is what I'm hung up on. Still really neat. I've seen the together often but almost always greens and reds. Never that orange and not ones so very different in appearance.

Now I need to go look at Jan's pics again

Pietsch and Orr have a three volume set called "Fishes of the Salish Sea" that all the cool fisheries biology folks like.

If that's too much for you, my fishery friends recommend Coastal Fishes of the Pacific Northwest by Lamb and Edgell.

For no good reason I have both on a shelf at work, none at home where I could really use one....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom