Palancar Pier Access

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than ease of docking and/or getting on/off the boat, I never understood why ops even bother to park way down at that pier. We are always anchor close to the day beach facilities - just seems like a no brainer.

Last edited:
Morecowbells, in the ‘April roll call’ thread mentioned: During surface interval we went to the concrete pier down south. We were not allowed to step onto pier(per some guy chasing dive boats away). I guess this is something new’, which seemed odd.

I spoke with my LDS and beginning yesterday there were folks ‘improving’ the jungle area at the head of the pier and were demanding a $200 MXN dock fee to tie up to the pier for a SI. Scratch SI’s at the Palancar pier off your Cozumel experience if this holds up. Looks like one of the more enjoyable aspects of diving in Cozumel just got screwed up.

Hola everyone, I would like to post some clarifications and corrections to gopbroecks post. Before everyone starts speculating and making assumptions on things you're not educated on - here is the truth.

First - The Palancar pier is in fact PRIVATE property. The owners have very generously allowed us to use it for MANY years with no fees at all. No one is "screwing" us over and no one is obligated to provide a free place for us to dock during SI's. This is a MUCH different situation than a hotel pier charging for its guests to use the pier - 100% different.

Second - NO ONE has been CHASING divers off the pier. They have simply been there to NOTIFY the boats that beginning TOMORROW April 19, 2018 - there will be a $100 pesos per boat fee to dock there. It's NOT $200 pesos and they haven't been DEMANDING anything. I have asked if we can pay a monthly fee and receive facturas or at least a receipt. I am waiting on the answer to that question.

In fact, my staff along with several other dive shop employees had a very informative and pleasant conversation with the employees hired by the property owner. They were told "you are WELCOME to dock here, but there will be a small (and fair) fee to use the pier." He then walked them around and showed them the things they were doing, keeping the beach clean and told them of plans to build restrooms and make some dock improvements. They also presented a legal certified copy of the concession, which is something Serets has STILL failed to do.)

Some people are up in arms about this - but again, this is PRIVATE property. Think about it - this is no different than someone parking in your driveway to take a break, pee in your yard, and leave trash on your lawn. We are not ENTITLED to use this pier for free and no one is SCREWING anyone over or participating in corruption. If they want to charge a nominal fee for use of the pier after all of these years of providing us a FREE place, I'm ok with that.

Operators have the choice of whether they want to pay the fee and dock there or not. Boats can still anchor at the beach.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with an instrumental person in this initiative. There are some really nice plans for the Palancar pier area. For those of you who have been diving Cozumel for many years and remember the good old days - you'll love what is to come there. This will be a place FOR divers to relax and enjoy the surface intervals. Also, for now, we need to pay cash while an easier system is put in place to collect and manage the funds - but ALL of the money collected is going towards GREAT improvements to the area and the pier, including PROPER tie off cleats on the pier. That's all I will say for now.

Our dive shop owners association (ANOAAT) has also been in contact and received approval yesterday from the marine park to install some "muertos" (I can't even think of the word in English - lol) to tie off to for surface intervals rather than anchoring. The marine park will provide the machine and labor to properly install them and the materials will be paid for by shops who are members of ANOAAT, so only ANOAAT members will be able to use them. More to come on that.

Last edited:
Muertos means dead weights which can act as a fixed anchor, with a float on the surface. All of these past 25 years years we have been dropping anchors and tying the boats to posts on the beach. That is something that any dive shop could do and not pay anything-- at almost all beaches in the south. But it is a lot of work for the staff.

However because of the cruise ship hoards, and rowdy atmospheres we have moved from (in order) Playa Mac, Playa Sol, Playa Mia, Nacho CoCom, Mr. Sanchos, and lastly Playa Palancar. We have also talked to the land's owner and frankly see this as an improvement for everyone. And as Kristi mentioned the owner has free and clear title. Not only that but he has been paying the Federal Zone fees for many years with no charge to anyone using the pier.

We may end up docking at the Palancar Pier (paying of course) and put some improvements on rented land for our divers. At this time no details have been worked out but we would have to install ecological bathrooms, chairs, tables etc. We hope to provide water, fruits and snacks, but no alcohol AND no cruise ship intrusions, sort of like the old Cozumel used to be.

It is also our understanding that the pier will be improved with proper docking cleats, etc.

Here is hoping it works out for all of us!

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hopefully they'll use the proceeds to build a tequila hut, hot tub, hammocks and shady area, a taco stand and perhaps massages.

Thank you Christi & Dave for that info. Obviously someone owns the property & we've come to think of it as a free place to have our SI's but as pointed out it's not there for us to abuse in any way. Keeping it clean & safe is a good idea & should be a priority for us that use it.

It will be an ALCOHOL FREE zone

Sounds good to me. One of the ‘highlights’ of one of our beach club SIs last month (spring break) was hordes of drunk college kids, including one girl so drunk her friends had to carry her off the beach, leaving a trail of vomit all the way. Not a huge deal but having a divers-only spot to stop would be fantastic.

I certainly understand compensation for use but I also hesitate applauding progress to vigorously. The is something to be said for the simplicity of an unspoiled caribbean beach.

I dont think CZ has progressed much in 30 years, unless chain restaurants, fast food and the creation of overpriced parks where they once were free is the definition of progress

For the first time I visited the site today by land. The trek from the was highway, to say the least, was a chore. (about 400 yards) and repeatedly my legs sunk up to the knees in muck. Passed spoonbills that were not afraid of us, and probably some unseen crocs. This 71 year old fool made it, so it could not be too bad.

It seems that the best outcome is a boat only access and a neat place for divers to take SIs and if we can control anything-- it will be like Christi said an "alcohol free zone" intended for diver's SI. Also some trees will have to be cut back to allow some wind to get to the hammocks. I do believe the land owner will go along with that as long as he has some way to recoup his investment.

Dave

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom