Palancar Pier Access

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......, and access to portapotties.
Don't give them any more ideas...........pay toilets.

LMAO,,,Wifey,, do you have 4 pesos in that wetsuit I can borrow?

I'll add in my 2 cents worth...

Before they charged for the pier we often used it. Mostly just to get the divers off the boat while the staff prepped gear for dive 2. Our divers always seemed to enjoy it, but also returned to the boat seeming bored, like "can we go yet?" Since they've been charging for the pier we have not returned. Not because of principle, mind you, but because we ask our divers what they want to do and to date no one has asked us to tie at Palancar Pier, so we haven't. At least with our divers a SI at the beach is not a priority (somewhat surprising to me honestly).

That aside, I do find it odd that they are charging for the pier on the premise of "improvements to come." I mean, if they want to simply tell me it's 100 peso to tie up, fine I have no problem with that. As Christie mentioned it is private property and I can respect that and pay the fee. But that's not what they've been saying (unless I've been misinformed). They've been saying they will charge us 100 peso to tie up with upgrades to the facility in the works. That's an odd way of doing business. I don't charge extra for my rental gear on the premise that we are saving for upgrades - I charge for what I provide. Which then makes me think (purely speculation on my part) that its 100 peso today and when chairs get added it'll be 200 and when a restroom gets added it'll be 300 and so on.

Anyway, we'll continue to ask our divers where they want to spend their SI and watch how this situation develops. As one of the newer shops on the island I don't have memories of how Cozumel used to be ala Dave and Christi, but I do agree a quiet, maintained, private area for divers to relax on the SI and intermingle would probably be a good investment.

If I understand correctly, there is already a nearby beach club, Palancar Beach Club, walking distance from this pier, that I'm guessing has the amenities people want, but is more crowded (which might contribute to 'economy of scale' and help businesses keep prices down?).

It seems some want Palancar Pier to turn into a smaller beach club that's diver-exclusive, for surface intervals only, and alcohol-free. Onsite food vendors, hammocks, rest rooms, tables, etc...

Question: from a practical perspective, how viable is that business model likely to be (don't know, just asking)? The surface interval in question would be once daily for most, between morning 2-tank and afternoon (if an op. has enough divers) 1 or 2-tank trips. So maybe a 2 hour window, once per day?

And it's been made clear by some dive op.s that if the people on the boat want to go elsewhere, they'll go elsewhere and keep their customers happy.

I'm foreseeing a more quaint little location with slightly more expensive and a bit more limited amenities, but less crowding.

While some of the Cozumel dive op.s seem to get along well, I wonder if all want to go hang at a place where their customers can see competitor's boats up close, and hear from other divers how awesome 'the other op.' is? You strike up a conversation with an Aldora diver, find out Aldora's got 120-cf tanks and does really long dives...maybe next time you jump ship and dive with Aldora. That can happen at any beach surface interval, but one exclusive to divers? Comparing notes would be the norm.

Richard.

Comparing notes would be the norm.

Are there divers out there who aren't aware of what various Cozumel competitors offer? Except maybe hotel based ops, I think every op in Cozumel has already been scrutinized by divers based on what they offer. It's not like this is pre-internet days where you have to go out of your way to find out information. Even people not on scubaboards look up tripadvisor reviews or go on the op website.

If an op is worried about losing business by docking next to another boat, I don't think they are going to be in business for long anyway.

And just because someone tries out another op on a subsequent trip doesn't mean they won't go back to the first on yet another one. Cozumel is pretty addicting, and ops with good customer service attract repeat customers.

If I understand correctly, there is already a nearby beach club, Palancar Beach Club, walking distance from this pier, that I'm guessing has the amenities people want, but is more crowded (which might contribute to 'economy of scale' and help businesses keep prices down?).

It seems some want Palancar Pier to turn into a smaller beach club that's diver-exclusive, for surface intervals only, and alcohol-free. Onsite food vendors, hammocks, rest rooms, tables, etc...

Question: from a practical perspective, how viable is that business model likely to be (don't know, just asking)? The surface interval in question would be once daily for most, between morning 2-tank and afternoon (if an op. has enough divers) 1 or 2-tank trips. So maybe a 2 hour window, once per day?

And it's been made clear by some dive op.s that if the people on the boat want to go elsewhere, they'll go elsewhere and keep their customers happy.

I'm foreseeing a more quaint little location with slightly more expensive and a bit more limited amenities, but less crowding.

While some of the Cozumel dive op.s seem to get along well, I wonder if all want to go hang at a place where their customers can see competitor's boats up close, and hear from other divers how awesome 'the other op.' is? You strike up a conversation with an Aldora diver, find out Aldora's got 120-cf tanks and does really long dives...maybe next time you jump ship and dive with Aldora. That can happen at any beach surface interval, but one exclusive to divers? Comparing notes would be the norm.

Richard.

Interesting thought although it wouldn’t concern me. Aldora’s 120 tanks are popular but not everybody needs or wants them, me for one. Customers come in all different flavours.

We have done boat SI's, Palancar Pier SI's, and Palancar Beach Club SI's as well as a few others. I prefer the beach club not only for the full facilities, but shade, chairs, decent guacamole and food. Club use is free and you don't have to buy anything. Sometimes, I bring snacks and pineapple coconut water and have never had an issue sitting at their tables. My wife needs sugar and caffeine to avoid the post dive headache so that is a great option. If it crowded, sometimes they will ask you to pay to use the lounge chairs with cushions.

You have to wade in and out, but that is not a big deal. We meet divers from other ops and all over the world and have a nice visit. Having cold drinks and food are nice, bathrooms are nicer (but toilet seats would be a good upgrade) but shade and a place to relax out of the sand would be primary si requirements for us.

Please oh please, if the pier upgrades become a reality, anything but port-o-potties. I'd rather utilize the flat footed, sand planted, waist deep, verticle warhammer technique or 120 degree knee bend, off the ladder, look out below, maneuver should Mother Nature make that rare but particular call.....

The Beach Club works for us...we have also stopped at Money Bar and one other very nice resort before. I can't remember the name of the resort...but the pizza's looked amazing. On a North End dive we stopped at a resort that had great coffee. A younger me might have preferred a pristine beach for a SI, Older me appreciates, food, drinks, shade, facilities, and chairs.

Safe travels everyone, see you in October on the reefs!
Jay

Are there divers out there who aren't aware of what various Cozumel competitors offer?

Probably every diver who asks who the best dive op is.

Probably every diver who asks who the best dive op is.
But by the time they pull up for the surface interval they've convinced themselves that beyond a shadow of a doubt the one they are with is the best one.

But by the time they pull up for the surface interval they've convinced themselves that beyond a shadow of a doubt the one they are with is the best one.
...and they very well might be right.

Back
Top Bottom