PALAU: FISH n FINS OR SAM'S

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Venus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone

I'm just about to book a liveaboard to Palau and plan three days on land for some diving too

I read about Fish n Fins and Sam's, but I couldn't find any pictures of their boats

Does anyone know which organisation have the better boats

Thanks .... VENUS

---------- Post Merged at 03:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Ah ha .... does FnFs have those covered boats with white seats ?

---------- Post Merged at 03:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Now looking for a hotel, cheap basic & close to or in town

Palasia Hotel @ 784$
Three nights inc breakfast + two days of two dives inc lunch is that good?

They both have good dive boats with covered tops; Sams Tours dive-ops along with Sea Passion Hotel, Palau Royal Resort and West Plaza Malakal Hotel are conveniently closer to the docks for the Aggressor & Dancer liveaboards; Fish n' Fins has the best small liveaboard (Ocean Hunter I), but it's a long smelly dusty walk from their dive-ops past the main garbage dump into town.

Palasia Hotel is right in the center of town, close to all the eateries & shopping along the main road, but farther away from either dive-op above (they run shuttle vans to & from the dive-ops, and there is also an afternoon into evening bus service from the outer hotels into Koror for $7/week).

Thanks Kev

That is really good info
I've actually looked at the 784$ for the three days and it's way high
So, I'll look for something cheaper, I'll check out the ones you mention near by Sam's

Do you know of any near by to FnF, and also easy walk to a reasonable bar?
I'll be on my own so don't want to be walking around at night by myself to much

Thanks ... VENUS

---------- Post Merged at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:41 PM ----------

Fish n Fins has West Plaza Malakal on their website

@ 645$ for four nights and 2 days two dives

West Plaza Malakal is actually much closer -within walking distance- to Sams Tours; the nearest hotel to Fish n' Fins is the Landmark Marina, but you still have the smell from the garbage dump.

I stayed at West Plaza Malakal last year while diving with Sams. There are a few restaurants and bars in the close area. I ate and drank a few beers at Kramers quite often.

I stayed at Sea Passion on my last trip, dove with Sam's for the week as I usually do. The hotel was clean and affordable and really close to Sam's. I have dove with them several times now and they always have looked after us really well. They have local knowledgeable guides and the atmosphere around the shop is laid back but helpful. Stayed at West Plaza Malakal a few years back as well. Bit of a step down from Sea Passion but still an ok place to stay. They are also really close to Sam's

Thanks Folks

My plan is three days on land with Sam’s staying @ West Plaza Malakal, I took the cheaper option
And then the Dancer for a week
A free day after the Dancer on Sunday and flying home in the early hours of Monday

I’m curious about Jelly fish lake
I would like to do it on the day I board Dancer or the departure day as well as during the cruise
Not sure yet of the timings, yet

I’m going to check the moon status now :eek:)

Thanks …. VENUS

Hi Venus,
We did 7 days of diving last Feb. with FnF & stayed at the Palau Pacific Resort. FnF picked us up and dropped us off each day. Was a little worried about doing Jelly Fish lake due to some posts regarding folks getting ear infections after the dive... I did it and it was amazing and had no problems with an ear infection! Enjoy your trip, it is a great place!

we used Sams and they were great! Jelly fish lake is awesome but you might think once is enough. It is a wet and slippery hike up and down so wear some good shoes. It is also a long boat ride out there to do on your departure day but that would depend on what time you board. Have a great time. You will love it there!

Just got back from Palau with 39 members of our group, Power Scuba. We used Fish N Fins exclusively and were quite happy with them.

We did nine dive days @ 3 dives per day. Fish n Fins was organized, professional, friendly, and very reasonably-priced. One of the owners was on-site each day and the entire staff was attentive and customer-oriented.

They had a small restaurant/bar on-site that was adequate, if not ritzy.

The boats were excellent, the DMs were knowledgeable, and, well... the diving was truly world-class. 'Natch.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back to F N F.

Bill Powers

Back
Top Bottom