Palau GH5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again I'm still learning, nd I've read about the awesome white balance on the camera.. so if that's the case why the need for red filters and lights? I was assuming just having 2 video lights would suffice or I've seen other videos with no lights

Without the red filter, it seems like it's too much for the camera to adjust, especially below about 8m (we're talking clear tropical waters, btw!).

Lights are for different kinds of shots. They'll only illuminate something fairly close anyway, and I use them as an additional option depending on the conditions. Obviously, all the time during night dives or where it's dark. It's just that you won't find lights that will illuminate, e.g., sharks that are 3m away when you're fairly shallow (so competing against ambient). In the video I posted at the start of this thread, I used my light for the coral at 2:58, at about 30m, but it would have been useless with the manta, which was several metres away!

A lot of this is down to personal preference, and I just feel really uncomfortable about shining very bright lights at most marine life.

Matt

Thanks for the info Matt, I do have a red filter (mangrove 67mm I think). I did test it both with Auto WB and MWB. After Grading in Davinci I found that I could get more out of the no filter and MWB (even through the raw footage was the worst of the three). If I wasn't grading, then the red filter would be better. I've since bought an Inon UWL-h100 so the red filter doesn't fit (unless I put between the lens and housing, not sure about that).

I think part of my problem was that I was white balancing off of a slate and the slate was too close to the camera, I have since painted a fin white to get some distance:)

Here are the unedited and graded footage of 1) Auto WB + Red filter, 2) MWB + Red filter and 3) MWB + no filter (this one was a bit underexposed).

So i'm going to pull the trigger and buy the nauticam housing with the same 14-42pz lens- have you been using it with the wwl-1? i'm assuming no because you are using the filter?

Hi, I don't use the WWL-1, because of cost and also because of the sort of stuff I like to film. I like to be able to fill the frame, or nearly, with a shark or turtle, and they're usually just too far away with a really wide angle lens. Obviously, if I was into wrecks it would be different. Since you can control the zoom with one of the fn buttons, I think it would be worth asking Nauticam if they do a focus gear for the PZ 14-42, rather than a zoom gear. Whenever you're in one of the higher frame rate modes (e.g. 100, 120 or 180) for doing slo mo, it's manual focus only, so you have to lock the focus whilst you're in auto. Turn on peaking (which indicates the parts of the image in red that are in focus). If you are thinking about getting a wet lens, then have a look at the Inon UCL-165, which is pretty cheap and means that you can do macro and wide on the same dive.
Good luck with the learning curve!
Matt

Nice. Palau has some of the best diving I've done anywhere in the world... and lots of cool critters to film!

Thx deltron!
I was using the Panasonic PZ 14-42, (f3.5-5.6). It's a really versatile lens, and pretty much covers all my needs. Also, you can set one of the fn buttons to control the zoom, so you have it under your thumb rather than having to rotate a knob.
I used autofocus throughout, generally using the "lock" ("AFL") button. I honestly don't see the problem with AF on this cam. Sure, if you're trying to film a shark a few metres away in the blue with particles in the water focus will probably hunt, but everyone knows that already. Instead, you just point at the reef or another diver and lock the focus. The depth of field I got with aperture at f5 or f6 meant very few out of focus shots. I also found that the auto focus was fine when shooting at different parts of the reef.

Matt
How did you set your function button to control the zoom, I couldn't figure it out in the settings menu

How did you set your function button to control the zoom, I couldn't figure it out in the settings menu
Hi,
you need to go into the menu that has the "C" next to a spanner (I've forgotten what the official name is). Select the last option on the right, "lens/others", power zoom lens, display focal length. Select that option, then go back up to the menu, and select "operation" (2 places up from "lens/others". Scroll down to p.3 of the 7 pages, and the 3rd item is "Fn Button Set". Press the menu button, and then again for the option "setting in REC mode". This will open up a map of all the functions you can assign to the various buttons. On p. 3 of the 19 (!) pages of options you have "zoom control". This will mean that for zooming you will just need to hit fn 2 (e.g.), the focal length display will come up, and you adjust right or left with the arrows on the circular control, zoom or wide, all with your thumb whilst holding the camera super steady :)

Good luck!
Matt

Matt, have you done any other liveaboards in Palau in addition to Ocean Hunter III? I am considering MV Solitude One.

Matt, have you done any other liveaboards in Palau in addition to Ocean Hunter III? I am considering MV Solitude One.
Hi Dive Freak,
I once went on Ocean Hunter I, but it was way too small and cramped for my taste. I keep going back to Ocean Hunter III because they look after me so well, and the max no. of divers is 16 (usually fewer).
I'm sure some of the other boats there are also fine, especially if they're linked to established Palau operators. With the one you mention, I would check how many divers they will have. It looks like a big boat! Also, one of the most important things is to have guides who really know the tides and currents. Blue Corner is at its best when the current is flowing....
Have a great time!

Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom